Re: [hr-wsis] Speakers for the Summit / my position on nominations from Tunisia

I'm surprised by your comment.

should i respond or not...well, i'll try to be brief.

My statement, if you quote me in context - Is that I am shaking in disbelief that names of well known Tunisian govt. supporters are being proposed as speakers (by CS) for the summit.

The statement of the WEOG group (given by Canada) at the prepcom clearly indicates a grave concern that the Tunisian govt and its agents are not engaging in the spirit of the Geneva principles. See <http://wsis.civiblog.org/blog/_archives/2005/10/1/1273764.html>

Might I note that the Canadian delegate's microphone mysteriously got cut off for 5-10 seconds when she started mentioning Tunisia . A point that should not be lost. Free speech has been limited at the prepcom, as it will at the summit. no doubt about it..

In regards to my earlier email, one where I comment on Tunisian speakers for the summit - I am of the view that engaging in a negotiated compromise is dangerous. Needing to give spots to 2-3 Tunsians in order to have the rest of our selections approved, well, is for me, problematic.

Speaking slots should be allotted based on merit, speaking experience, involvement in Information Society issues, and engagement in the WSIS process. Most of the speakers to be recommended will fall in this criteria. So we'll be ok. However, when it comes to Tunisian speakers - an equal chance should be given to those who have been involved in the WSIS process. Human Rights defenders from Tunisia have organized events at the prepcoms, events in Tunisia, and contributed to many research studies on the real state of the information society in the country. Have they been recommended as speakers - no.

If CS puts forward a set of Tunisian names vs. others, it will lead to a discussion that will go on, on and on. If we are to put forward names, then they should be representative of both sides. If that compromise is not possible, then the "safest" position to take would be not to give any speaking slots to Tunisians at all. that is the point I was trying to raise.

Speaking slots or not, we'll definitely hear and have to deal with Tunisian issues at the summit.

The summit will be challenge, that's for sure.e

regards,

Robert

--
Robert Guerra <rguerra@privaterra.org>