Re: [hr-wsis] Re: HR and the UN

Rikke,

The idea of the Human Rights Council is the following:

"If the United Nations is to meet the expectations of men and women everywhere - and indeed, if the Organization is to take the cause of human rights as seriously as those of security and development - then Member States should agree to replace the Commission on Human Rights with a smaller standing Human Rights Council. Member States would need to decide if they want the Human Rights Council to be a principal organ of the United Nations or a subsidiary body of the General Assembly, but in either case its members would be elected directly by the General Assembly by a two-thirds majority of members present and voting. The creation of the Council would accord human rights a more authoritative position, corresponding to the primacy of human rights in the Charter of the United Nations. Member States should determine the composition of the Council and the term of office of its members. Those elected to the Council should undertake to abide by the highest human rights standards" (par. 183)

Basically the concept has been rejected by every country and regional group, particularly the African group. The debate can be read at:

http://ngochr.org/view/index.php?basic_entity=DOCUMENT&list_ids=522

Much of the SG's reform package is up for grabs now that the US and China have taken the Security Council expansion question off of the table.

Rik Panganiban
CONGO