HR caucus co-organizer of the WFCR

Hi all,

As most of you might be aware, one of the major events organized
alongside (see http://www.wsis-online.net/event/) with WSIS first phase
in Geneva, is the World Forum on Communication Rights (WFCR), organized
by the CRIS campaign on December 11th at Palexpo.
More information on WFCR is at: http://www.communicationrights.org/

The WFCR focuses on 4 themes, which are:
- Communication and Poverty
- Communication, Conflicts and Peace
- Communication, Copyright, Patents and Trade
- Communication and Human Rights

The HR caucus has been asked to be a partner of this event, and to
organize the "Communication and Human Rights" track. This is a great
opportunity to make HR issues more visible during WSIS, specially since
they can be linked, through WFCR, to other important issues related to
communication and also since, to speak frankly, it would have been
difficult to organize an event by ourselves.
I hope you welcome this idea.

A rough description that has been provided to CRIS for the overall
presentation fo the forum is the following;
"Communication and Human Rights: Its role not only in freedom of
expression and privacy, but in all human rights, from the right to a
fair trial and freedom of movement, to freedom of assembly and workers’
rights, together with democratic governance".

The format for all tracks would be more or less the same, with of
course some flexibility. The WFCR organizing committee suggests the
following for each session track (1h30 to 2h00 maximum, most probably
1h30):

- Keynote speaker opens the session briefly (10-15mn)
- One presentation that gives a quick overview of Communication within
the theme (10-15mn)
- and/or testimonies (what is going on on the ground, either by
witnesses or through multimedia presentation)
- Then a panel of 3-4 people which will frame communication rights in
the structural circumstances that make the situation that has been
presented possible.

As I already had the opportunity to discuss with some HR caucus
representatives in Geneva, it appears that it wouldn't be really
appropriate to separate "witnesses" from "theorists", and we could
preferably have a larger panel including testimonies and discussions on
structural circumstances.
Any idea on possible multimedia installation, less "conference-like",
would be most welcome.

Regarding keynote speaker, the first obvious option is Mary Robinson,
who has been informally approached already. We're waiting for an
answer. She must be very busy, specially since the day before (December
10th) is the 55th anniversary of UDHR. So we need an option 2, with a
well known name.

Regarding panelists, some names already come to mind (from countries
with difficult situation Re: human rights, from indigenous people,
etc.), but first we should clearly identify the content of the session.

First, we have to limit ourselves, not trying to raise all HR issues in
details. In addition, this session shouldn't overlap with other
sessions as well as with themes specifically highlighted by other
events (e.g. there will be a panel on labor rights organized by ILO,
another one on indigenous people, etc. list of events is at:
www.wsis-online/event).

We also need to identify a main thread to make the session coherent,
with different illustrations. I can propose two of them, and I'm
willing to have your comments and perhaps other suggestions:

- 1st possible thread: "privatisation of rights" and social control
converging agendas
- 2nd possible thread: human rights (true or false) conflicts raised by
the use of ICTs, i.e. human dignity vs. freedom of expression, freedom
of of information, ...,  right to information vs. privacy, right to
safety vs. privacy, etc.

But let's discuss the whole idea before going on.

Meryem