Re: [hr-wsis] HR caucus co-organizer of the WFCR

Meryem et al,

The WFCR will be a great opportunity to showcase the key human rights dimensions of the information society. There is obviously a lot of ignorance and misunderstanding in this area that we need to dispel.

We might think of organizing along two lines:

(1) human rights challenges of the IS, i.e. surveillance, monitoring, censorship, etc. and

(2) human rights opportunities of the IS, i.e. how HRs groups are using ICTs to enable their work, better HRs monitoring using ICTs, increasing transparency and accountability using ICTs, etc.

I believe that we need to demonstrate that the IS not a "rights-free" zone, that there are existing international, regional and national human rights standards that already cover the information society. We might solicit views from authorities in this area. I know that the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights is preparing a short paper highlighting which articles of the UDHR are most applicable to the information society. Perhaps the ICRC could be asked to prepare an analysis of this. We shouldn't have to defend the right to communicate and the right to a free press all over again when they are longstanding parts of the intl human rights legislation.

In terms of multimedia, we could ask Human Rights Watch's "Witness" program to set up a demonstration. For those who don't know, Witness provides videocameras to human rights activists around the world to record the human rights situations/ violations in their countries and to make those videos available to authorities and the media. Also ICRC has some great mutimedia demonstrations that we could get them to set up, I'm sure.

Regards to all,

Rik Panganiban
WFM