RE: [hr-wsis] Re: [WSIS-CT] Next steps for Content and Themes

Meryem, Steve, Sally and all,

I am Eric Muragana, SANGONeT Communications Coordinator.

As one of very few CSOs in Southern Africa dedicated to providing ICT
services to the local CSO sector, SANGONeT is organising various one-day
SANGONeT ICT Discussion Forums during 2003, called Thetha, which will focus
specifically on the role and relevance of ICTs to CSOs.

We just launch Thetha - The SANGONeT ICTs Discussion Forum series this year.
Thetha is a Nguni verb meaning let’s talk, discuss, debate, share
opinion/ideas and engage each other.

The objectives of the Thetha - The SANGONeT ICTs Discussion Forum series are
the following:

·	To highlight and promote the practical benefits and opportunities provided
by ICTs to Southern African CSOs ;
·	To provide Southern African CSOs with an opportunity to reflect on the
impact of ICTs on their work and to share lessons and experiences of common
concern.

In addition we have workshoped two Thethas in Gauteng, South Africa. The
first Thetha focus on “ICTs for Development in South Africa - Challenges and
Opportunities”.

The second Thetha focus on "Cyberlaw and Internet Rights" The objective of
this Thetha was to introduce participants to the various legal/legislative
and rights issues related to the use of the Internet and ICTs in South
Africa.

The third Thetha focus on WSIS Thetha. Its objectives was to provide:

·	The objectives of this Thetha was to provide South African CSOs with an
opportunity to develop an understanding and reflect on the focus and
objectives of the WSIS and related processes, and to discuss the position of
the South African government and civil society in this regard.

The outcome of this Thethas created a platform for participants to share
information, lessons and set up networks.  Based on the feedback received,
participants requested SANGONeT to widen the scope and focus of the forums
and facilitate similar events in other provinces.

I also agree with the outline proposed by Sally and Meryem. I won't be able
proactively participate to the work of the drafting group, but will be more
than happy to input on proposed draft.

I am content with - global knowledge commons.

But therefore suggest that we have an additional items:
- Access, Infrastructure, Literacy and Education,
- International Policy Procedures - International decisions about ICTs have
far-reaching implication for developing countries which are poorly
represented when agendas are set and decisions made.

Best regards,
Eric Muragana
SANGONeT Communications Coordinator
Tel: +27 11 838 6943