Re: [hr-wsis] Re: draft letter to de Mello

Le vendredi, 30 mai 2003, à 17:41 Europe/Paris, karen banks a écrit :

> hi
>
> i'm sure APC would be able to support this (or edited version of
> this..) -
>
> but, i'm not sure i could agree with the observation that technology
> in itself is value-neutral? but wondering if you mean it in the way i
> understand it..  i believe technology (and scientific innovations) are
> heavily value-*laden*, imbued with the values of those who create them
> (or those who pay others to create them - for example) - but, i do
> agree, that in the application of ICTs, there are positive and
> negative attributes..

I do agree with you Karen, but in this paragraph specifically, I
understand the "value-neutral" as meaning that technologies could be
used for the best and the worse, which, one must recognize, is the
least we can say :-)
So I think it's not really harmful. However, just in case, the letter
can be edited and a less ambiguous wording may be preferable.
Could you propose something ?