Re: [hr-wsis] HR Caucus nomination to IPG-MAG

I would like to endorse Robin Gross. She has done a nice job advancing consumer interests.
Manon

On Apr 10, 2006, at 7:16 PM, Robin Gross wrote:

Dear colleagues,

I have nominated myself for consideration by the WSIS-Internet Governance Caucus as a candidate to the IGF-MAG.

I would warmly welcome an endorsement from the WSIS Human Rights Caucus if appropriate.

Below is my candidacy statement. Thank you for your consideration.

Robin

-------------------

Candidate Name: Robin D. Gross

Name of Nominator: Robin Gross (self-nomination)

Nationality: US citizen

Country of Residence: United States (San Francisco)

Gender: Female

BIO:
ROBIN D. GROSS is an attorney in San Francisco, California. She is the Founder and Executive Directive of IP JUSTICE an international civil liberties organization that promotes balanced intellectual property law and protects freedom of expression (www.ipjustice.org). Ms. Gross advises policy makers throughout the world on the impact of intellectual property rules in national legislatures, international treaties, and trade agreements.

Ms. Gross teaches international copyright law at Santa Clara University, where she also serves as a member of the Santa Clara University School of Law High Technology Legal Advisory Board. Ms. Gross regularly lectures at international seminars, law schools, and universities on cyberspace legal issues including digital copyright, fair use, and other Internet legal issues.

Ms. Gross is a Council Member of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) Policy Council, representing the Non-Commercial Users Constituency (NCUC).
Ms. Gross was selected by WSIS Civil Society to speak before the WSIS General Assembly in Tunis in 2005 and she chaired two parallel events at the Tunis Summit. She also spoke at the 2003 WSIS Summit in Geneva at a parallel event organized by the Heinrich Boell Foundation on communication rights and human rights. Ms. Gross is a participant of the WSIS Patent, Copyright, and Trademarks (PCT) Working Group and the WSIS Human Rights Caucus.

She sits on the Board of Directors for the Union for the Public Domain, a nonprofit organization in Washington, D.C. that is dedicated to protecting the public domain (www.public-domain.org). And she is on the Advisory Boards of Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility-Peru (CPSR-Peru) and of FreeMuse, an international organization based in Copenhagen that advocates freedom of expression for musicians and composers worldwide (www.freemuse.org).

In July 2004 Managing Intellectual Property Magazine named Ms. Gross as one of “2004’s Top 50 Most Influential People in Intellectual Property in the World.” She testified before the US Copyright Office during the 2003 and 2000 Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) Rulemaking Hearings. California’s legal newspaper The Daily Journal selected Ms. Gross as one of “California’s Top Ten Most Influential Attorneys in 2001”. She has appeared as a guest legal expert on TV and radio news stations including CNN, BBC, NPR, PRI, Tech TV, NHK, DRS, VOA, and CBC. Ms. Gross has been quoted in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, USA Today, Business Week, Wired News, Associated Press, Reuters, Financial Times, Billboard and other media outlets.

Before founding IP JUSTICE in 2002, Ms. Gross was the first Staff Attorney for Intellectual Property with cyber-liberties organization the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), where she began the group’s campaign in intellectual property issues in 1999 (www.eff.org).

A graduate of Santa Clara University’s High Technology Law Program, Ms. Gross is licensed to practice law in California. In 1997 she co- founded VIRTUAL RECORDINGS one of the first digital music websites with her musician husband. A Michigan native, she graduated from Michigan State University’s James Madison College in 1995 with degrees in political philosophy and international relations.

WHY I AM A GOOD CHOICE:

I have been working to protect digital rights since 1999 and have developed a fundamental understanding of the key policy and technical issues in the online world.

If selected, I would work towards ensuring that the Internet Governance Forum provides greater protection for traditional civil liberties – particularly freedom of expression, privacy, and user rights regarding digital media.

I have been an active participant of both phases of the World Summit of the Information Society (WSIS). At the 2005 WSIS General Assembly in Tunis, I was the only speaker to advocate for reform of over-zealous intellectual property rules that threaten traditional civil liberties on the Internet. Also during the Tunis Summit, I chaired two parallel events on the topic of reform of international IP regimes and on the topic of the social and legal issues surrounding P2P file-sharing and e-Democracy. At the Geneva 2003 Summit, I spoke at a WSIS parallel event to argue that communication rights are human rights in an information society. I also provided substantive comment in 2005 to members of the Working Group for Internet Governance (WGIG) who were responsible for drafting papers on intellectual property issues. In March 2006 I submitted a substantive agenda recommendation to the IGF that advocated for IGF attention to freedom of expression, privacy, and other civil liberties. I am a participant of the WSIS Patents, Copyrights, and Trademarks (PCT) Working Group and the WSIS Human Rights Caucus.

My experience at ICANN has led me to believe that we need serious reform with respect to Internet governance. The lack of a meaningful diversity of views at ICANN, particularly the lack of opportunity for participation from developing countries and from those who do not represent a particular commercial interest is very troubling. It is my hope that IGF can be a forum to push for real reform of Internet governance issues that is more in line with the global public interest, inclusive, and respectful of civil liberties.

My non-profit organization IP Justice is accredited as a “Permanent Observer” at the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and I participate at WIPO meetings in Geneva approximately 7-8 times per year. In July 2005, I organized a “Group NGO Statement” that was signed on to by 138 public-interest NGOs from all corners of the world to support developing countries’ proposal for a “Development Agenda” and call for substantive reform at WIPO.

For seven years, I have advised international policy makers about the civil liberties implications of proposed or existing IP laws or other rules and technologies that impact digital freedom. I would be able to attend IGF meetings in Geneva and Athens and participate on IGF mailing lists.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can provide any further information. Thank you.

Robin Gross

--
Working List of the WSIS Human Rights Caucus
Web site : http://www.iris.sgdg.org/actions/smsi/hr-wsis

************************************************ Manon Anne Ress manon.ress@cptech.org, www.cptech.org

Consumer Project on Technology
1621 Connecticut Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20009 USA
Tel.:  +1.202.332.2670, Ext 16 Fax: +1.202.332.2673

Consumer Project on Technology
1 Route des  Morillons, CP 2100, 1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland
Tel: +41 22 791 6727

Consumer Project on Technology
24 Highbury Crescent, London, N5 1RX, UK
Tel: +44(0)207 226 6663 ex 252 Fax: +44(0)207 354 0607