De: Robert Guerra <rguerra@privaterra.org>
Date: Mer 12 oct 2005  21:03:30 Europe/Paris
À: toru.nakaya@itu.int, Charles Geiger <charles.geiger@itu.int>
Cc: Meryem Marzouki <marzouki@ras.eu.org>
Objet: Letter of Concern - CS speakers from WSIS/ Summit

Dear Toru and Charles:

In my capacity as focal point on the civil society bureau, I wish to communicate to you both, in your capacity of as members of the WSIS ES, my grave concern due to the inclusion of :

Mr. Mohammed Elyes Ben Marzouk

as a civil society speaker at the summit. The person in question has, some months ago, been appointed to the Tunisian parliament by the Tunisian Present. This is a clear conflict, made even worse by being a member of the parliament of the host country. I would hope that this fact be taken into consideration by the ITU and as such , NOT select him as a speaker.

Tunisian officials, specifically governmental agents have already caused sufficient interference at the various prepcoms. Despite strong statements by key governments to prevent this, it is likely that the situation will be worse at the Tunis summit. Having a Tunisian parliamentarian speak as civil society will clearly lead to a reaction by many in Civil society, and likely several goverments as well. I do hope that the ITU reconsider it's decision and instead select a less controversial person who in fact IS from Civil Society.

In the meantime, I shall advise both the Canadian Government Delegation as well as Civil Society human rights caucus about this most troubling development.

Yours sincerely,

Robert Guerra

--
Robert Guerra <rguerra@privaterra.org>
Director, Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR)

Begin forwarded message: