HR caucus proposes Shirin Ebadi to speak at WSIS opening

Dear all,

Shirin Ebadi, 2003 peace Nobel prize winner, accepted the proposal from WSIS CS Human Rights Caucus to propose her as a speaker for Summit opening. For the HR caucus, having Shirin Ebadi speaking would be the strongest symbol that the information society should be built on human rights and social justice foundations.

The HR caucus has asked Shirin Ebadi if she would be willing to speak after having seen the first list of proposed speakers circulated on Sept. 30. (with Adama Samassekou and Renata Bloem proposed as possible speakers for opening).

Apparently, we are now compelled to propose Shirin Ebadi directly to ITU, since the "selection committee" has already sent its list.

We would be very pleased however to include support from other caucuses and organizations to Shirin Ebadi proposal. You certainly remember that Shirin Ebadi was considered by CS as a whole to speak at the opening ceremony of the Geneva summit, but at that time, she was not available because she was receiving her prize in Oslo.

If you want to support this nomination, please sent a message to me (marzouki@ras.eu.org) as soon as possible. Caucuses or individual organizations are most welcome.

More info at: http://nobelprize.org/peace/laureates/2003/index.html

Best regards,
Meryem Marzouki