speakers list tranmitted to ITU

Dear all,

FYI: Here is the mail sent by Rik Panganiban to the Plenary list, with the speakers list tranmitted to ITU. Meryem.

TIFF image

Dear friends,

Please find below the final list of recommended speakers from civil society for the WSIS summit in Tunis that has been transmitted to the ITU. This list is the result of wide consultations among the various civil society entities, caucuses and working groups involved in the WSIS, and attempts to balance the various issue areas, interests and concerns expressed by civil society in the process. The final list was drawn up by a selection committee composed of representatives of our regional caucuses as well as a member of the civil society Bureau and Content and Themes group.

Here is the breakdown:

Opening Ceremony: Gender: 1 woman and 1 man / Region: 1 Europe, 1 Latin America Caribbean
High Level Panel: Gender: 2 women, 3 men / Region: 3 Asia Pacific, 2 Africa
Roundtables: 5 women, 3 men / Region: 1 Latin America Caribbean, 1 North America , 3 Europe, 2 Africa, 1 Asia Pacific
Plenary: Gender: 11 women, 15 men / Region: 10 Africa, 6 Europe, 5 Asia, 4 North America, 1 Latin America

As we understand the process, the Secretary General of the WSIS, Mr. Utsumi, will recommend to the President of the WSIS the entire package of speakers to speak from the various stakeholders.  The President of the WSIS will then make the final determination as to who will speak and when at the Summit.

In order to assist Mr. Utsumi and the President of the WSIS in determining the final speakers from civil society in Tunis, we suggest the following procedure:

1.    All recommended speakers or their nominating entities should forward to the selection committee the CV or brief biography of the nominee as well as short summary (1 paragraph) of what the individual proposes to speak about. These should be sent to rik.panganiban@ngocongo.org by 1800 hours EST, Wednesday 12 October.

2.    These CVs and summaries will be compiled into an annex to be transmitted to the ITU and made available to the CS Plenary.

3.    The WSIS secretariat will make a final determination as to who will speak in Tunis, with the final approval of the President of the WSIS.

The WSIS executive secretariat will get back to us their initial feedback on this list, and any other specific information shortly.  Thanks again to everyone for your assistance in this difficult process.

Regards,

Rik Panganiban on behalf of the Selection Committee

Yoshio Utsumi
Secretary-General
World Summit on the Information Society

Dear Mr. Utsumi:

Please find attached to this letter the recommended list of speakers for the various speaking slots allotted to civil society during the World Summit on the Information Society from November 16-18, 2005 in Tunis, Tunisia.

This list is the result of wide consultations among the various civil society entities, caucuses and working groups involved in the WSIS, and attempts to balance the various issue areas, interests and concerns expressed by civil society in the process. The final list was drawn up by a selection committee composed of representatives of our regional caucuses as well as a member of the civil society Bureau and Content and Themes group.

We will be happy to assist you in obtaining detailed CV’s and suggested subject areas that each speaker would speak on if desired. Please note that in the few instances where an individual has been listed in more than one category, if that individual is chosen to speak for one slot that they be removed from consideration for the others.

We thank you for this opportunity to make the following recommendations, and trust that it will receive your careful consideration. Please contact us if we can provide any further assistance or guidance.

Sincerely,

Rik Panganiban
On behalf of the Civil Society Selection Committee

World Summit on the Information Society

Recommended Civil Society Speakers

TIFF image

TIFF image