VS: HRIC/FIDH WSIS Press Statement - text version

Pls find below the text version..

Rikke

20th/09/2005
China / Wsis

China blocks open discussion at WSIS with procedural maneuvering

FIDH/HRIC Open Statement

The International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) and its member
organization, Human Rights in China (HRIC), deplore the decision of the World
Summit on Information Society (WSIS), a process that claims to include the
broadest possible participation, to block open discussion on supporting
independent NGO voices. At the WSIS PrepCom-3 opening Plenary meeting
yesterday, the People's Republic of China (PRC) was able to block a vote on
HRIC's accreditation with a procedural maneuver that revealed both the
politicized nature of the process and China's adverse impact on the WSIS
principles of building a "people-centered, inclusive, and development-oriented
Information Society."

The WSIS Executive Secretariat list of recommended entities for accreditation
to the WSIS was introduced and approved by the PrepCom without any discussion.
After questions and concerns raised by the U.S. and UK delegations regarding
why HRIC was not on the list of recommended organizations, the Executive
Secretariat responded that although HRIC had been fully transparent in the
application process, its file was incomplete because it had not disclosed
anonymous donors. HRIC had complied with all requests for supplemental
information, including providing an independent auditor's letter confirming
that no direct governmental contributions were received.

After the U.S. made a motion to accredit HRIC, the PRC moved to raise a
procedural objection to any discussion concerning organizations not on the
recommended list.

Following more than an hour of debate among country delegations, the PRC's
motion was then brought to a roll-call vote: with 194 accredited countries, 122
were present at the opening Plenary Meeting in PrepCom-3, and of these
countries, 35 abstained from voting, 35 voted against not allowing discussion,
and 52 voted in favor of not allowing discussion. Despite the PRC's claims to
be simply raising a procedural issue in the interest of facilitating moving on
to "substantive" issues, its motives were exposed when it attacked HRIC during
the debate by dismissing "so-called NGOs with dubious governmental links."

"On the occasion of the First phase of the World Summit on Information Society,
States adopted a Declaration of Principles which recognized the right to
freedom of expression contained in article 19 of the Universal Declaration of
Human Rights as 'an essential foundation of the information society (paragraph
4),' including that '[t]he ability for all to access and contribute
information, ideas and knowledge is essential in an inclusive information
society (paragraph 24).' We can only deplore that governments have failed to
apply these principles to the mere second phase of the Summit. As we can see,
these principles ironically do not apply to all information-in particular not
to contributions from Human Rights in China, the group China attempted to
exclude,' deplores Sidiki Kaba, president of the FIDH.

"China's actions at the WSIS need to be viewed within the broader context of
pervasive and systemic human rights violations in China, including censorship
and information control, and ongoing detentions of journalists and internet
activists, for example the sentencing of journalist Shi Tao to ten years for
merely exercising his right to free expression and to criticize the government,
as protected by China's own constitution," states Sharon Hom, HRIC's executive
director. "Unfortunately, the international community has witnessed another
example of China's efforts to repress free and open debate not only
domestically, but also in the international arena."

Despite a 16-year record of constructive participation in international
processes, including WSIS Phase I, UN treaty bodies and the WTO, and the broad
support of civil society organizations, HRIC's accreditation process was held
to a far higher degree of discriminatory scrutiny than that of other NGOs. The
blocking of any substantive discussion of HRIC's accreditation also sends a
clear message that a single country can exert influence to control which voices
will be recognized on key policy issues, undermining the WSIS principles of
democracy, transparency and multi-stakeholder participation.

Contact Presse : Antoine Madelin : + 32 485 22 22 87

About Human Rights in China

Human Rights in China (HRIC) is an international monitoring and advocacy non-
governmental organization based in New York and Hong Kong. Founded in March
1989 by Chinese scientists and scholars, it conducts research, education and
outreach programs to promote universally recognized human rights and advance
the institutional protection of these rights in the People's Republic of China.