Fra: Rikke Frank Joergensen
Sendt: 15. august 2005 09:30
Til: 'karen banks'
Emne: SV: CS STATEMENT V3: Statement

Hi karen

Not sure if this is latest version below, but here are my comments:

"1. We are pleased to see the recognition of the imperative of upholding
universally agreed human rights and data protection in relation to
measures to address security and the investigation of crimes committed
online.

I would separate HR and Data protection, since they are not the same,

or >preferably replace "data protection" with "the right to privacy".
Data >protection is also more narrow than "the right to privacy".

12.. However, we feel that the report could have been strengthened by
addressing human rights as a cross-cutting principle

replace w "addressing human rights as cross-cutting standards"

, with particular reference to Article 19 in relation to the development
and application of shared principles, norms, rules, decision-making
procedures, and programmes that shape the evolution and use of the
Internet. Measures  taken must not violate rights to freedom of
_expression_, including press freedom online, in conformity with Article
19" of the UDHR and nothing in Internet governance negotiations must
impair, restrict, or contradict these rights. "

problem: there is no clear differentiation between
the need to adhere to UDHR principles in general and Article 19 in
particular. Would be good to more clearly articulate both points.
Furthermore, a number of other HRs are also relevant to mention, not

least >article 12 (privacy), art. 20 (assembly), art. 27 (enjoy own
culture), art >28 (implementation and enforcement).

Rikke

--
Working List of the WSIS Human Rights Caucus
Web site : http://www.iris.sgdg.org/actions/smsi/hr-wsis