Fra: Rikke Frank Joergensen
Sendt: 15. august 2005 12:31
Til: 'karen banks'
Emne: SV: SV: SV: CS STATEMENT V3: Statement

New text suggestion below: (I've rewritten both)

b. Human rights, Privacy and Freedom of Expression

11. We are pleased to see the recognition of the imperative of upholding
universally agreed human rights in relation to measures to address
security and the investigation of crimes committed online. Human Rights
with specific relevance in this context include the right to a fair
trial (UDHR art. 10), the right to privacy (UDHR article 12), freedom of
expression (UDHR article 19), freedom of assembly (UDHR art. 20), and
the right to enjoy your own culture (UDHR art. 27). Furthermore, we wish
to emphasise state obligations on implementation and enforcement (UDHR
art. 28).

12. We feel that the report could have been strengthened by addressing
human rights as cross-cutting standards, with particular reference to
the rights mentioned above, in relation to the development and
application of shared principles, norms, rules, decision-making
procedures, and programmes that shape the evolution and use of the
Internet. Any measure taken must effectively respect human rights such
as the right to privacy and freedom of expression, including press
freedom online, in conformity with UDHR art. 12 and 19. Nothing in
Internet governance negotiations must impair, restrict, or contradict
human rights, as they are spelled out in UDHR and international law.