Re: [hr-wsis] Re: HR and the UN

Rikke,

This has been my understanding as well, but only through media,
including various interviews of Sachs, who has a lot of currency
here right now (especially following the Tsunami).

But Rik's is the realpolitik view.

WJM

karen banks wrote:

hi rikke

Thanks, but the issue I was referring to is not the ongoing debate on reforming HRC into a smaller standing body. What I heard from one of my colleagues, who just returned from the UN corridors of Geneva, was a new proposal to reform the basic structure of the UN system/organisation giving security, development and HR equal weight. But maybe it's a misunderstanding.. Ill ask around some more...

that is certainly my understanding.. there was some discussion about this at the UNICT TF meeting in dublin last week - where jeffrey sachs spoke

a new HR council, a development council that would report to ECOSOC and the reformed security council..

the challenge of course would be that security will take emphasis/priority.. (and maybe a large issue of whether reform proposals will go through at all..)

karen

--
Working List of the WSIS Human Rights Caucus
Web site : http://www.iris.sgdg.org/actions/smsi/hr-wsis

--
Bill McIver, Ph.D ==
Group Leader (Acting) | Chef de groupe (par intÂrim)