SV: [hr-wsis] Re: HR and the UN

thanks, Rik !

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: Rik Panganiban [mailto:rikp@earthlink.net]
Sendt: on 20-04-2005 16:51
Til: hr-wsis@iris.sgdg.org
Emne: [hr-wsis] Re: HR and the UN

That is basically what the SG has been calling for: enhancing the
capacity of the UN in relationship to its work on security, development
and human rights by reforming the Security Council, the Economic and
Social Council and the creation of the Human Rights Council.  This is
all part of what has been called Kofi's "Grand Bargain," asking
developed states to commit to more ODA while gaining seats on the
Security Council for Japan and Germany.  However some powerful
countries -- China and the US --have already rejected the idea of a
Grand Bargain being approved at this September General Assembly.

Rik

On Apr 20, 2005, at 8:50 AM, Rikke Frank Joergensen wrote:

> Hi Bill, Rik and all..
>
> Thanks, but the issue I was referring to is not the ongoing debate on
> reforming HRC into a smaller standing body. What I heard from one of
> my colleagues, who just returned from the UN corridors of Geneva, was
> a new proposal to reform the basic structure of the UN
> system/organisation giving security, development and HR equal weight.
> But maybe it's a misunderstanding.. Ill ask around some more...
>
> Rikke

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations
(CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban@ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524