Re: [hr-wsis] Fwd: for information [WSIS CS-Plenary] Nominations: Working Group on Internet Governance (WGIG)

Hi there, I think we should nominate Marco Cappato to represent this caucus, here's why:

I believe that Marco Cappato would make an excellent choice for the WSIS-Human Rights Working Group to support as a Member of the UN's Working Group on Internet Governance.

A Member of the EU Parliament from Italy (1999 – 2004), Marco has demonstrated leadership and knowledge in several high technology policy issues. Specifically, Marco was a parliamentary draftsman on a number of key initiatives to protect individual privacy rights in electronic communications and ensure safe processing of personal data. And he was active in the EU Parliament's Committee on Citizens' Freedoms and Rights, Justice and Home Affairs.

Marco pressed the EU Parliament and national governments to protect human rights when abuses were found in Egypt, Cambodia, Chechnya, Cuba, Georgia, Vietnam, and many other occasions over the years.

Marco proposed amendments to the 2004 EU IP Rights Enforcement Directive that would have protected consumers engaging in non-commercial copying from being punished as if they were large commercial pirates. He has been a strong voice in Europe against Hollywood’s attack on Internet file-sharing.

As a member of the EU delegation at WSIS in Geneva, Marco worked to include support for human rights in the official WSIS documents. Marco has also represented his political group at the United Nations since 1997. In 2002 he spearheaded initiatives in the European Parliament aimed at promoting e-democracy.

Given his solid record of defending civil liberties in the European Parliament, particularly on Internet governance issues, Marco Cappato can be trusted to protect the human rights of Internet users on this UN Working Group.

We will have a real shot at strong representation on the UN Working Group if we collectively recommend Marco Cappato!

Robin Gross

PS: I asked him if he is interested in serving, and he said he absolutely is!

Meryem Marzouki wrote:

Hi all,

I'm forwarding this message from Adam Peake, Internet Governance caucus coordinator, which is self-explanatory, I hope. Unfortunately, I'm very busy those days with my job, but please start discussing this issue inside the HR caucus.

Meryem

Début du message réexpédié :