Re: [hr-wsis] input to CS Declarationhi

At 12:51 26/11/2003, you wrote:
>Freedom of Expression
>There must be no censorship and no arbitrary controls or constraints on
>participants in the communication process, on the content of information
>or its transmission and dissemination. Pluralism of the sources of
>information and the media must be safeguarded and promoted.

I would perhaps add the word PRIOR before censorship so that it reads
"There must be no prior censorship....." ?

>Right to Privacy
>The right to privacy is a human right and is essential for self-determined
>human development in regard to civic, political, social, economic and
>cultural activities. The right to privacy faces new challenges in the
>Information and Communication Society, and must be protected in public
>spaces, online, offline, at home and in the workplace. Every person must
>have the right to decide freely whether and in what manner he or she wants
>to receive information and communicate with others. The possibility of
>communicating anonymously must be ensured for everyone. The power of the
>private sector and of governments over personal data increases the risk of
>abuse, including monitoring and surveillance, and must be kept to a
>legally legitimized minimum. The collection, retention, processing, use
>and disclosure of personal data, no matter by whom, should remain under
>the control of and determined by the individual concerned.

To be consistent this section should refer to article 12 of the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights?
I am also unsure on what it is meant by "surveillance.... must be kept to a
legally legitimized minimum"???? Having referred to risk of abuse, perhaps
reference should be made to avoiding unaccountable and illegal surveillance
as such activity
cannot be acceptable in democratic societies.

Regards,

Yaman

Dr. Yaman Akdeniz
Director, Cyber-Rights & Cyber-Liberties
c/o Department of Law,
University of Leeds,
Leeds LS2 9JT
United Kingdom