RE: [hr-wsis] Re: input to CS Declarationhi

Ok. It is ok that I say "pluralism of the sources of information and the media" as in the original sentence ?

Just read the CR section, its bad stuff !! need to get back to "Sean language"..

-----Original Message-----
From: Meryem Marzouki [mailto:marzouki@ras.eu.org]
Sent: 26. november 2003 15:02
To: hr-wsis@iris.sgdg.org
Subject: [hr-wsis] Re: input to CS Declarationhi

Hi Rikke,

I would just ask for a small change in the FoE section, the rest being
OK with me:

Le mercredi, 26 nov 2003, à 13:51 Europe/Paris, Frank Joergensen, Rikke
a écrit :

> Proposal for the Alternative/Visionary Civil Society Declaration
>
> Human Rights Caucus
>
> November 26th, 2003
>
> Freedom of Expression
>
> Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is of
> fundamental and specific importance, since it forms an essential
> condition for a human rights-based Information and Communication
> society. Article 19 requires that everyone has the right to freedom of
> opinion and expression and the right to seek, receive and impart
> information and ideas, through any media and regardless of frontiers.
> This implies free flow of information, free circulation of ideas,
> press freedom, and availability of the tools to access information and
> share knowledge. Freedom of expression should be protected on the
> Internet in the same way it is protected offline, that is, by the rule
> of law rather than by private parties through self-regulation and
> codes of conducts. There must be no censorship and no arbitrary
> controls or constraints on participants in the communication process,
> on the content of information or its transmission and dissemination.
> Pluralism of the sources of information and the media must be
> safeguarded and promoted.

I would deleted the reference to the "free flow of information" (US
doctrine which does have a meaning) and refer to the pluralism of media
at this step, i.e.:

Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is of
fundamental and specific importance, since it forms an essential
condition for a human rights-based Information and Communication
society. Article 19 requires that everyone has the right to freedom of
opinion and expression and the right to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas, through any media and regardless of frontiers.
This implies free circulation of ideas, pluralism of the sources of
information, press freedom, and availability of the tools to access

--
Working List of the WSIS Human Rights Caucus
Web site : http://www.iris.sgdg.org/actions/smsi/hr-wsis