OMCT Press release on WSIS phase 2

Hi,

Here are the English and French versions of a common press release by
TRIAL and OMCT (HR caucus member) calling for the removal of General
Habib Ammar from Tunis phase WSIS organizing committee.
Please note that the HR caucus is collecting signatures, including from
its members, for the petition launched by the caucus, which has been
sent to the list and is at:
Français:
http://www.iris.sgdg.org/actions/smsi/hr-wsis/petition-tunisia-en.html
English:
http://www.iris.sgdg.org/actions/smsi/hr-wsis/petition-tunisie-fr.html
Español:
http://www.iris.sgdg.org/actions/smsi/hr-wsis/petition-tunez-es.html

Meryem
====
PRESS RELEASE

For the attention of the Press

Geneva, September 25th, 2003

World Summit on the Information Society:
OMCT and TRIAL call for the removal of General Habib Ammar

The World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT) and TRIAL (Track Impunity
Always), are seriously concerned by the potential damage that may be
wrought should General Habib Ammar remain at the head of the World
Summit on the Information Society’s (WSIS) Organising Committee. The
summit is set to take place in Tunis in 2005.

Having been notified of General Habib Ammar’s presence in Geneva to
participate in the WSIS’ preparatory work for the session that is to be
held in Geneva in December 2003, on September 17th, 2003, OMCT and
TRIAL lodged a criminal complaint against the General with the Canton
of Geneva’s General Prosecutor.

General Habib Ammar, who was previously the Commander of the Tunisian
National Guard and the Minister of the Interior, actively participated
in the brutal repression of the Tunisian people for a number of years.
The use of torture was widespread in police establishments that were
under his control, as the Commander of the Tunisian National Guard,
from 1984 to 1987. Examples of the notorious torture centres of the
time include: the National Guard headquarters at the Aouina barracks,
the centres in Ariana, Tadhamoun City and Douar Hicher.

In 1986, General Habib Ammar created the special services’ national
directorate, known as the “Research and Investigations” services
(abhath wa taftich). These were based in the Aouina barracks and were
used to subject hundreds of persons to torture, most of whom were
political opponents to the Bourguiba regime and demonstrators. Witness
accounts have brought to light the particularly violent nature of the
methods used by the members of the security services at this location.
General Habib Ammar is alleged to have closely followed developments in
a number of investigations carried out by these services and to have
been present during several of the interrogations carried out at this
location.

Following the November 1987 coup d’etat by General Ben Ali, General
Habib Ammar was appointed as Minister for the Interior and, during this
period, the Ministry’s facilities were transformed into a detention and
torture centre.

The methods of torture that were used by the security services and
police forces during the period in which General Habib Ammar held the
afore-mentioned positions were particularly brutal and continue being
used to this day.

On September 23rd, 2003, several days after General Habib Ammar had
left Switzerland, OMCT and TRIAL were informed that the criminal
complaint that they had lodged against the General had been shelved by
the Canton of Geneva’s General Prosecutor. This decision was based on
Article 12 of the headquarters agreement, which was signed in July 1971
by the Swiss Confederation and the International Telecommunications
Union (which is holding the summit), which provides immunity from
arrest and detention for state representatives to the ITU.

OMCT and TRIAL will not appeal this decision, notably due to the fact
that the General is now out of the country, but contest the
interpretation of the law that this decision represents. The
organisations wish to remind the Swiss authorities that it is their
obligation to arrest and prosecute any person alleged to have committed
acts of torture who is within their territory, under the United Nations
Convention Against Torture, that was ratified by Switzerland in 1986.
In light of this, OMCT and TRIAL reserve the right to take appropriate
action if General Habib Ammar were to return to Geneva for the session
of the World Summit being held in December 2003.

Finally, OMCT and TRIAL consider that General Habib Ammar past record
is causing the World Summit, its organiser, the ITU, and its host, the
Swiss Confederation, to lose credibility. Consequently, the
organisations will be writing to the Swiss authorities, the ITU’s
Secretary General and the Secretary General of the Untied Nations, in
order to have them approach the Tunisian authorities to request that
General Habib Ammar no longer participate in the World Summit. The
organisations will also be writing to President Ben Ali urging him to
name a new representative in his stead and to take all measures
necessary to ensure that all alleged perpetrators of torture are
brought to justice.

The fact that the World Summit on the Information Society is being held
in Tunisia – a country that is notorious for its poor human rights
record - in 2005, has engendered widespread condemnation from a large
number of the civil society organisations that are participating in the
Summit, and the nomination of General Habib Ammar as the President of
the Summit’s Organising Committee raises serious concerns about the
Tunisian regime’s intentions for this event.

Contact OMCT: Christine Ferrier                    +4122 809.49.39 or
+4179 401.76.00
Contact TRIAL: Philip Grant		        +4176 455.21.21

For more details see:
www.omct.org
www.trial-ch.org

========

COMMUNIQUE DE PRESSE

Aux représentants de la presse

Genève, le 25 septembre 2003

Sommet Mondial sur la Société de l’Information : l’OMCT et TRIAL
demandent le retrait du Général Habib Ammar.

L’Organisation Mondiale contre la Torture (OMCT) et TRIAL (Track
Impunity Always), suite à la dénonciation déposée contre le Général
Habib Ammar auprès du Procureur Général du Canton de Genève, classée
sans suite, s’interrogent sur les dommages que pourraient créer le
maintien de celui-ci à la tête du Comité d’Organisation du Sommet
Mondial sur la Société de l’Information qui aura lieu à Tunis en 2005.

L’OMCT et TRIAL ayant eu connaissance de la présence du Général Ammar à
Genève à l’occasion des travaux préparatoires du Sommet Mondial de
l’Information qui doit avoir lieu à Genève en décembre prochain, ont
soumis le 17 septembre 2003 au Procureur Général du Canton de Genève
une dénonciation pénale contre le Général Habib Ammar.

En effet, ancien Commandant de la Garde nationale et ancien ministre de
l’Intérieur, celui-ci a participé de manière active à la répression
durant de nombreuses années. De 1984 à 1987, alors qu’il était
Commandant de la garde nationale, la pratique de la torture s’est
généralisée dans les locaux de la gendarmerie. Parmi les centres des
tortures les plus notoires de l’époque, on peut citer, à titre
d’exemple, le siège de la Garde nationale à la caserne de Aouina, les
centres de l’Ariana, de la Cité de Tadhamoun et de Douar Hicher.

En 1986, le Général Habib Ammar a créé la direction nationale des
services spéciaux, désignée comme le service de « Recherches et
investigations » (abhath wa taftich). Ces services spéciaux opéraient
dans la caserne de l’Aouina et ont été responsables de la torture de
centaines de personnes, pour leur majorité des opposants au régime de
Bourguiba et des manifestants. Les témoignages révèlent l’utilisation
par les membres du service de sécurité de méthodes particulièrement
violentes. Le Général Habib Ammar  aurait suivi de près le déroulement
de plusieurs enquêtes et, à certaines occasions, se serait même
personnellement rendu sur les lieux des interrogatoires.

Suite au coup d’Etat de novembre 1987 par le Général Ben Ali, le
Général Habib Ammar a été nommé Ministre de l’Intérieur. Pendant la
période où il était ministre, les locaux du Ministère de l’intérieur
ont été transformés en centre de détention et de torture.
.
Les méthodes de torture utilisées par les services de sécurité et les
forces de l’ordre pendant la période où le Général Habib Ammar a exercé
ses fonctions, et jusqu’à ce jour, sont particulièrement brutales.

Le 23 septembre 2003, alors que le Général Ammar avait déjà quitté la
Suisse depuis quelques jours, l’OMCT et TRIAL, par l’intermédiaire de
leurs avocats, ont été informés du classement de la procédure par le
Procureur Général du Canton de Genève, décision motivée par l’article
12 de l’accord de Siège signé en juillet 1971 entre la Confédération
Suisse et l’Union internationale des Télécommunications (organisatrice
du Sommet), accordant l’immunité d’arrestation et de détention aux
représentants des pays membres de l’UIT.

L’OMCT et TRIAL ne feront pas recours de cette décision, notamment en
raison du fait que le Général Ammar a depuis quitté la Suisse.
Cependant, elles contestent le bien-fondé d’une telle interprétation du
droit. En effet, ces deux organisations rappellent aux autorités
suisses leur obligation de poursuivre toute personne responsable
présumée de torture lorsqu’elle se trouve sur son sol, ceci
conformément à la Convention contre la Torture, ratifiée par la Suisse
en 1986. En conséquence, l’OMCT et TRIAL se réservent la possibilité de
mener toute action utile si le Général Ammar revenait à Genève pour le
Sommet mondial de décembre prochain.

Enfin, l’OMCT et TRIAL, estimant que le passé du Général Ammar porte un
grave préjudice à la crédibilité du Sommet, et par voie de conséquence
à son organisateur l’UIT et à son hôte la Confédération suisse,
adresseront un courrier aux autorités helvétiques, au Secrétaire
général de l’UIT et au Secrétaire général des Nations Unies, leur
demandant de faire pression sur les autorités tunisiennes pour qu’elles
renoncent aux services du Général Ammar dans le cadre de ce Sommet
mondial. Elle adresseront également une lettre au Président Ben Ali
afin qu’il nomme un nouveau représentant, et qu’il prenne toutes
mesures nécessaires pour assurer que les actes de torture ne restent
pas impunis.

La tenue du Sommet Mondial sur la Société de l’Information en Tunisie
en 2005, pays largement connu pour ses nombreux manquements en matière
de droits de l’Homme, avait fait réagir un grand nombre d’organisations
de la société civile participant au Sommet, et la nomination du Général
Ammar comme Président du Comité d’Organisation aggrave d’autant le
soupçon d’instrumentalisation du Sommet par le pouvoir en place à Tunis.

Contact OMCT : Christine Ferrier                    +4122 809.49.39 ou
+4179 401.76.00
Contact TRIAL : Philip Grant		        +4176 455.21.21

Pour plus de details, voir:
www.omct.org
www.trial-ch.org

Début du message réexpédié :