Re: [Governance] Update text on governance fore civil society document

Hi all,

[please don't put my private address in copy, I'm on this list for
quite a long time now !]

Le vendredi, 18 juil 2003, à 19:27 Europe/Paris, Adam Peake a écrit :

> We have been asked to update the text in the Civil Society Priorities
> Document document on "Global Governance".  It's been controversial,
> and clearly no consensus on it.

That's the least we can say... For the information of those who weren't
in Paris, not only the CS document has been distributed there without
the last sentence that I've proposed and that was added in the second
draft - a decision that was not the result of any CS meeting in Paris
-, but also the oral statements made in the government plenary on
behalf of the governance caucus were based on the very first text
proposed by Wolfgang, which, to my knowledge, was not either the result
of a consensus on the list.

Let's forget as for now about these methods and practices which seem
inherited from ICANN process itself, and let's try to really find a
consensus on this issue, since the CS priority document has to be
updated after this Paris meeting.

1/ The first issue to decide upon is the limits of the field addressed
by this caucus.
First of all, the name of the caucus is "Internet governance". Internet
doesn't mean ICTs, and a fortiori it doesn't mean information as a
whole.
While I share Bill Drake's concern of broadening the governance issue,
it is clear that this caucus only speaks about ICANN (and not even the
Internet as a whole). It is also clear that very few people on this
list can seriously claim their competence when broader governance
issues than ICANN stuff are to be discussed.
==> This caucus should recognize that it should only deal with IP names
and numbers management. I hope Bill, Sean and others will understand
that this is certainly the less harmful proposal, specially considering
the exchanges on this list till now.
Broader governance issues may be considered either throughout the whole
CS document or they may be the subject of a new caucus to be created:
after all, it was the first objective of this caucus to consider global
information governance (including media governance). Unfortunately,
current caucus membership is leading to ICANN discussion only.

2/ Supporting the so-called "multistakeholder partnership" is not a
postulate of this caucus. It's only the position of some people and
groups, which is not shared by other people and groups, among them
members of this caucus as well as among all the civil society
organizations involved in the WSIS process.
Therefore, this call for a "multistakeholder partnership" shouldn't be
present in the documents and statements of this caucus without a
serious discussion on this issue.
As we agreed in plenary in Paris (when discussing Bertrand de la
Chapelle statement), the consensus is reached on demanding "the full
participation of civil society organizations", and not a
"multistakeholder partnership".

3/ Completely denying the role of governements is not either a
postulate of this caucus, specially when authoritative arguments are
used, sometimes close to a updated version of the "Goodwin point":-).
It is, however, the point expressed by the industry, e.g. in Paris in
the CCBI statements (CCBI is the coalition made by the industry to
speak with a single voice during WSIS, it includes, among others, the
ICC, the GBDe, etc.). Here, we are in a civil society caucus, we are
supposed to express a vision of the public interest, not our private
interests.

In this context, I hardly see how we can simply go back to the text
Wolfgang submitted and was included in the first draft, even if a
reference to human rights is included, making it wishy-washy by at the
same time keeping the remaining of this draft as it was.
The main problems with Wolfgang draft is that:
1/ It takes as granted a consensus on a multistakeholder partnership,
and for decision-making bodies, not only discussion groups
2/ It calls for "Global Information Governance", including ALL kinds of
public policies, even non ICT-specific policies and legislation
Not to mention the earlier comments I made on this text when the first
draft of the CS document has been sent to us.

Finally, promoting the statu quo regarding the specific issue of ICANN
and IP name and numbers management is clearly not a consensus on this
list. And with due respect and friendship to Veni, I cannot imagine
that things will change with ICANN simply because he has been appointed
as director:-).

ICANN needs to be endangered to expect any change from it. This danger
can only come from the basic principles of democracy : (1) separation
of powers between different entities and (2) limitation of the field of
action of each entity. The same applies to ITU, and to any organization.
The only conclusion that can be derived, and that may lead to a
consensus, is that : (1) in application of the first principle, neither
ICANN only, nor ITU (or any other agency/organization) only should keep
the management of the whole IP name and number space in its hands and
(2) that the role of the entities managing names and numbers should be
strictly limited, and specially not be broadened to whole policy making.

This needs re-examination of the current situation, with all the
proposals on the table. During this re-examination, which will last
long, civil society organizations are likely to be able to raise their
voices.
This is the reason why a call for an international conference on this
issue (of course sponsored by WSIS between Geneva and Tunis, to answer
Wolfgang question. Who doubts WSIS would be more than happy to sponsor
that ?), with the full participation of the civil society - and all
governements at the same level, not only the worst ones, is a
reasonable proposal.

--
Meryem Marzouki - http://www.iris.sgdg.org
IRIS - Imaginons un réseau Internet solidaire