ICANN and the public interest issue in CS priority document

Hi all,

It seems that we have a serious point of disagreement in the "Global
ICT governance" section of the draft CS document. The sentence at stake
in the document is:

> "To these ends, the current management of Internet names and numbers
> and other related mechanisms should be re-examined with the full
> participation of all stakeholders in light of serving public
> interests and compatibility with human rights standards."

A/ Those who request the deletion of this sentence - mostly members of
the governance working group who are participating to the ICANN
process, some of them having been elected at ICANN board - argue that,
although ICANN is far from perfect, such a sentence would be a call for
the governements to take over the Internet management system, while
they consider that nothing would be worse than an intergovernmental
management.

B/ Those who want this sentence remaining in the document - members or
not of the governance working group but certainly not having any
responsibility within ICANN process - argue that the current status is
that ICANN has been and still is in the hands of the corporate
interests, and that ICANN final decisions are in the hands of the US
Department of Commerce, to which ICANN reports and without which it
doesn't make any important decision.

In other words, this sentence is here to say that :
1/ The whole issue should be reexamined, not to put ITU in place of
ICANN, but to have everything reexamined and discussed on new bases
2/ Any discussion should inlude the full participation of all
stakeholders
3/ Any discussion or decision should serve the public interests and
should be compatible with human rights standards
4/ When governements are in, we favour multilateralism among
unilateralism (i.e. in this case the sole US governement decision),
specially in order to give equitable voices to the South

It is also amazing to see how a general sentence intended for the whole
ICT/Internet governance issues to ask for the promotion of public
interests, human rights and the sustainable democratic development of
the information and communication society seems to be understood by
some as solely directed to ICANN.

To my knowledge, this is the only specific issue in the document where
there is such a strong disagreement, while at the same time other parts
of the CS document also promotes the public interest, human rights and
the sustainable democratic development, and even multilateralism over
unilateralism.

One can then reasonably wonder what is exactly at stake here.

Best regards,
Meryem Marzouki