Re: [hr-wsis] Fwd: Mello

We may also want to make reference to the actual draft declaration of principles that has a significant section on HR already. The need for their involvement is important to make comment on these already existing sections as well !

Amali De Silva, VP Vancouver Community Network, Canada.

Meryem Marzouki <marzouki@ras.eu.org> wrote:
Hi Rik,

I'm forwarding to you a proposal from Diana Bronson, representative of
the International Centre on Human Rights and Democratic Development, a
HR caucus member.
Do you agree with this alternative proposal, which sounds very relevant
to me ?
Best regards,
Meryem

Début du message réexpédié :

> De: dbronson@ichrdd.ca
> Date: Ven 30 mai 2003 21:10:12 Europe/Paris
> À: hr-wsis@iris.sgdg.org
> Objet: [hr-wsis] Mello
> Répondre à: hr-wsis@iris.sgdg.org
>

> Friends
>
> I have attached the transcript for the press conference where Sergio
> De
> Mello was named to run to run the UN's operations in Iraq and it is
> clearly
> stated that Bertie Ramcharan will be acting High Commissioner during
> ! his
> four-month absence. I suggest we aim in the letter for the
> involvement
> of the OHCHR, ask for Ramcharan's attendance at prep com 3 and De
> Mello's
> personal involvement at the Summit in December. It strikes me that it
> would be odd for human rights organizations to request he leave the
> desperate situation in Iraq -- where phone lines are not even working
> --
> to attend a prep com on information technology. We are interested
> not in
> his personal involvement, but it the involvement and centrality of the
> UN
> human rights system: the Commission, the treaty bodies, the special
> rapportuers etc.
>
> The relevant quote from Kofi Annan is this
>

> No one has more experience in this area than Sergio Vieira de Mello,
> and I
> think for us to really get organized and become operational and
> effective
> immediately I ! needed someone who can hit the ground running and help
&g! t; us set
> up the operation at its early stages, so Sergio will be there for four
> months and will then return to his assignment in Geneva. In the
> meantime,
> Bertie Ramcharan will serve as Acting High Commissioner. I hope Sergio
> will
> have the support of all the Member States, and I am confident he will
> work
> well with the coalition Authority in Baghdad and with all the other
> groups
> in Iraq.
>

> Along with others, we have decided not to submit to meet the 31 may
> deadline but rather will try and get something better in the coming
> weeks.
> As many of you know, we have a draft essay on human rights and
> information
> technology under production.
>
> Best regards to everyone. It is great to see some energy in this
> caucus.
>
> Diana
>
> (Embedded (Embedded image moved to file: pic26500.gif)
> (E! mbedded
> image moved
> image moved
> to file: to
> file:
> pic06334.gif)
> [...]

=== message truncated === > ATTACHMENT part 2 image/gif x-unix-mode=0666; name=pic06334.gif > ATTACHMENT part 3 image/gif x-unix-mode=0666; name=pic26500.gif > ATTACHMENT ! part 4 image/gif x-unix-mode=0666; name=pic19169.gif > ATT! ACHMENT part 5 image/gif x-unix-mode=0666; name=pic15724.gif

Amali De Silva AAT(CMABC), BSc(Hons) Econ, PgDip Acc/Fin, MSc Int. Acc/Fin

Tel: 604-736-9012 & Email: amali@amalidesilva.com