Fwd: [hr-wsis] Mello

Hi Rik,

I'm forwarding to you a proposal from Diana Bronson, representative of
the International Centre on Human Rights and Democratic Development, a
HR caucus member.
Do you agree with this alternative proposal, which sounds very relevant
to me ?
Best regards,
Meryem

Début du message réexpédié :

> De: dbronson@ichrdd.ca
> Date: Ven 30 mai 2003  21:10:12 Europe/Paris
> À: hr-wsis@iris.sgdg.org
> Objet: [hr-wsis] Mello
> Répondre à: hr-wsis@iris.sgdg.org
>

> Friends
>
> I have attached the  transcript for the press conference where Sergio
> De
> Mello was named to run to run the UN's operations in Iraq and it is
> clearly
> stated that Bertie Ramcharan will be acting High Commissioner during
> his
> four-month absence.    I suggest we aim in the letter for the
> involvement
> of the OHCHR, ask for Ramcharan's attendance at prep com 3 and De
> Mello's
> personal involvement at the Summit in December.   It strikes me that it
> would be odd for human rights organizations to request he leave the
> desperate situation in Iraq -- where phone lines are not even working
> --
> to attend a prep com on information technology.   We are interested
> not in
> his personal involvement, but it the involvement and centrality of the
> UN
> human rights system:  the Commission, the treaty bodies, the special
> rapportuers etc.
>
> The relevant quote from Kofi Annan is this
>

> No one has more experience in this area than Sergio Vieira de Mello,
> and I
> think for us to really get organized and become operational and
> effective
> immediately I needed someone who can hit the ground running and help
> us set
> up the operation at its early stages, so Sergio will be there for four
> months and will then return to his assignment in Geneva. In the
> meantime,
> Bertie Ramcharan will serve as Acting High Commissioner. I hope Sergio
> will
> have the support of all the Member States, and I am confident he will
> work
> well with the coalition Authority in Baghdad and with all the other
> groups
> in Iraq.
>

> Along with others, we have decided not to submit to meet the 31 may
> deadline but rather  will try and get something better in the coming
> weeks.
> As many of you know, we have a draft essay on human rights and
> information
> technology under production.
>
> Best regards to everyone.  It is great to see some energy in this
> caucus.
>
> Diana
>
>    (Embedded      (Embedded image moved to file: pic26500.gif)
> (Embedded
>   image moved
> image moved
>    to file:                                                         to
> file:
> [...]

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image