RE: [hr-wsis] Re: Draft HR caucus document

To avoid the use of "Free flow" I would use the terms used in the Unesco 1989 "New Commuication Strategy" which was the official withdrtaw of UNESCO from the NWICO.  In that declaration unesco reaffirms the concept of free flow but to soften it, it adds the new concept of "better balanced dissemination" (of this flow)

They also use the term "better participation in the communication process" for developping countries.

I propose to retake these concepts and replace Bill's phrase by

"In addition, as many have pointed out, the  principles of a better balanced flow of information,press freedom, participation in the communication process, and knowledge sharing will become truly meaningful only when they are  viewed as being supported by a  complex of rights, not just Article 19."

We are playing here with words and definitions and we all know that "the first battle is one of definitions"
Alain

PS: Here is the introduction of the Unesco

  New Communication Strategy
Adopted by the General Conference at its twenty-fifth session - 1989

        “To encourage the free flow
of information,
at international as well as
national levels,