RE: [hr-wsis] Re: [hr-wsis] HR caucus and post-wsis activities / Caucus DDH et activités post-SMSI

Bonjour chers tous,

Moi également j'opte pour la seconde proposition ,Mreyam et Rikki continuent le travail commence et nous verrons à longue s'il faut ajouter d'autres personnes.

Hello dear all,
Me also I choose the second proposal, Mreyam and Rikki continue work starts and we will see with long if other people should be added.

Baudouin

Ginger Paque <ginger@paque.net> a écrit :
Thank you for this very important posting, Meryam.

I agree that option two is the one we need to follow, and would like to second the continuance of Meryam and Rikki as co-coordinators if they are willing to do so.

As always, I would like to point out the importance of the right to vote in supporting all of our rights, particularly in the Information Society.  One of my suggestions at the recent conference in Denmark was that the HR caucus get more involved in this issue.  I am including a copy of my presentation at the end of this email, (in English and then in Spanish) in case anyone has any suggestions for me, or is involved in any activities which can include this issue.

Thanks to all, especially Meryam and Rikke.
Ginger

WFUNA Task Force on WSIS & The Danish Network on WSIS
International conference on "Where to go from Tunis? Implementation of and follow-up to the World Summit on the Information Society and the role of Civil Society in this process" (Copenhagen, February 22, 2006)

I am astonished by the lack of widespread interest in electronic voting issues. The vote is the basis of democracy. Without a proper exercise of the right to vote, all of our other human rights hang on the whim of a ?legally elected? leader and can be modified ?democratically? at will.  A national assembly with a clear majority has a mandate to do whatever they please. We must ensure that those governing are exercising the will of the people they represent.  The right to privacy is important, the right to freedom of _expression_ is important. All of our human rights are important. But we need to protect the base of these rights as well, which is the right to vote. There is not a single reference in the official summit (WSIS) documents to electronic voting, and only one short reference in the Civil Society document. I don?t know if this issue is considered unimportant, or whether it is considered too sensitive. But I think it needs to be publicized and addressed.

Information technology can support our human rights and be a tool for their propagation through education and information. And electronic voting and identification systems may help more people exercise their right to vote. But the potential for manipulation and invasion are frightening.  The rapid electronic dissemination of  even correct information is sensitive enough: the spread of news, reactions and violence can be fueled by correct information. Much more sensitive is the manipulation of information as distortion or outright fabrication.

The history of voting is fraught with manipulation and fraud in almost every society and there are documented cases of voting fraud by some of the world?s most prominent leaders. If there is proof of voting fraud, as there apparently is, by John F. Kennedy of the United States, we know we are probably vulnerable to fraud by others with less reputation to protect.  If there is not voter confidence in the electoral process, there is no exercise of the right to vote.

So it is obvious that any electoral process, but particularly an electronic process must be overseen by a non-partisan electoral commission to ensure transparency and representation.  This means that any voting issues group must be careful not to be ?opposition? or ?against? any government. It must be ?for? fair elections, supporting whoever is the properly elected party. Unfortunately, in many cases, the polarization of parties and political positions has resulted in distortion by both parties in and out of power and the media, to the point that it is difficult to tell where the truth is. In this case, all parties lose, because the confidence lost in the electoral process will undermine any election results and weaken the democratic process, and all human rights.

All voting processes, manual or electronic, are subject to error, to omission, to physical and training problems. Electronic voting adds the issue of vulnerability to manipulation through software particularly if there is not a verifiable paper backup.

Computer hackers have every conceivable motivation, many times incomprehensible to most of us. But without a doubt, the stakes in an election are high enough that there most probably will be attempts to manipulate the results. There must be an international certification process for electronic voting machine and software manufacturers to oversee these processes and ensure that all possible efforts are made to avoid tampering.

The collection and use of voter information may seem to be a privacy issue, but it is also a right to vote issue. A voter who is not confident that their vote will be secret and is afraid of retribution related to their political stance may well be affected in their decision of whether to vote and how to vote. If voter ID information is collected in a serial manner parallel to the serial vote tabulation, it is conceivable that the individual vote could be deciphered and recorded.

Further, this, or even physically collected voting information can be published for consultation on a Web Page, for instance, for possible discriminatory actions such as exclusion from job opportunities, government loans, health services and access to education. This possibility will also affect the individual vote, and possibly the outcome of an election.

First, this issue must be given the discussion and attention it merits.

Second, we must have guarantees of both privacy of the vote and transparency (non-manipulation) of the vote.

At present, it would seem that the only way to guarantee the transparency and legitimacy of an election is to compare physical paper ballots with the electronic count. This way the public will have access to an immediate count electronically, with the reliability of a backup paper count within a reasonable time.

?Electronic Vote and Democracy electronic-vote.org states very clearly:

The Precautionary Principle applied to elections means that even the smallest doubt about e-vote being really less risky than paper voting it's a good reason to use the traditional paper ballots!

Necessary steps:

  • Publicize and raise awareness of the e-voting issue in the WSIS process.
  • Publish appropriate information on all pertinent mailing lists, and ask the HR caucus to make this
  • a focus of attention.
  • Implementation.

Implementation:  work towards inclusion of the following principles in follow-up to the WSIS process:

·         Guarantee a non-partisan Voting or Electoral Commission.
·         Require a process that includes a Paper Trail verification system.
·         Require international certification of voting processes and systems to avoid manipulation of the vote and guarantee transparency.
·         Guarantee the privacy of voter identification and vote information and avoid the use of serial storage of information that can be deciphered for voting information.
·         Prevent the publication of voter ID and vote and its use for discrimination.

Conferencia Internacional  del Grupo de Tareas de la FMANU sobre la CMSI
y la Red Danés sobre la CMSI sobre ?¿Dónde vamos después de Túnez?
Implementación y seguimiento de la Cumbre Mundial sobre la Sociedad de la Información
y el papel de la Sociedad Civil en este proceso" (Copenhagen, 22 febrero, 2006)

Me asombra la falta de un interés amplio en los temas de votación electrónica.  El voto es la base de la democracia.  Sin un ejercicio apropiado del derecho al voto, todos los otros derechos humanos dependen del antojo de un  líder ?legalmente elegido? y pueden ser modificados ?democráticamente? a su voluntad. Una asamblea nacional con una mayoría clara tiene el poder de hacer lo que le da la gana. Debemos asegurar que quienes gobiernan están ejerciendo la voluntad del pueblo que representan. El derecho a la privacidad es importante, el derecho de expresión es importante. Todos nuestros derechos humanos son importantes. Pero necesitamos proteger la base de estos derechos también, que es el derecho del voto.  No hay ni una sola referencia a la votación electrónica en los documentos oficiales de la cumbre (CMSI), y hay una sola referencia corta en el documento de la Sociedad Civil.  No se si este tema se considera poco importante, o si se considera demasiado sensible. Pero creo que necesita ser publicitado y atendido.

La tecnología de información puede apoyar a nuestros derechos humanos y puede ser una herramienta para su propagación a través de la educación y la información. Y sistemas electrónicos de votación e identificación pueden ayudar a más gente a ejercer su derecho de votar. Pero la potencial para manipulación e invasión asustan.  La diseminación electrónica rápida de información correcta es bastante sensible ya: la difusión de noticias, reacciones y violencia pueden ser alentados aun por información correcta.  Mucho más sensible es la manipulación de información como distorsión o fabricación completa.

La historia de votación está cargada de manipulación y fraude en casi cada sociedad y hay casos documentados de fraude de votación por algunos de los líderes mundiales más prominentes. Si hay prueba de fraude de votación, como aparentemente la hay, por John F. Kennedy de los Estados Unidos, sabemos que probablemente estamos vulnerables a fraude por otros con menos reputación que proteger. Si no hay confianza de los electores en el proceso electoral, no hay ejercicio del derecho al voto.

Así que es obvio que cualquier proceso electoral, pero particularmente un proceso electrónico debe ser supervisado por una comisión electoral no partidista para asegurar transparencia y representación.  Esto quiere decir que cualquier grupo que trata los temas de votación debe cuidarse de no pertenecer a la ?oposición?, o estar en ?contra? de algún gobierno. Tiene que estar ?a favor? de elecciones justas, apoyando a quien sea que resulte apropiadamente elegido. Desafortunadamente, en muchos casos, la polarización de los partidos y las posiciones políticas ha resultado en distorsión por amas partes dentro y fuera de poder, y por los medios, al punto que se hace difícil saber donde está la verdad.  En este caso, todas las partes pierden, porque la confianza que se ha perdido en el proceso electoral socavará cualquier resultado electoral y debilitarÄ el proceso democrático y todos los derechos humanos.

Todos los procesos de votación, manuales o electrónicos, están sujetos a error, a omisión, a problemas físicos y de entrenamiento. La votación electrónica agrega el tema de vulnerabilidad a manipulación a través de software, particularmente si no hay un registro en papel verificable.

?Hackers? de computadores tienen cualquier motivación concebible, muchas veces incomprensible para la mayoría de nosotros.  Pero, sin duda, los resultados de una elección son lo suficientemente importante que probablemente habrá intentos de manipular los resultados. Tiene que haber un proceso de certificación internacional para máquinas y software de votación electrónica para supervisar estos procesos y asegurar que se hagan todos los esfuerzos posibles para evitar interferencia.

La colección y uso de información sobre los votantes podría parecer un tema de la privacidad, pero también es un tema del derecho al voto.  Un votante que no confía que su voto será secreto y tiene miedo de retribución relacionada a su posición política puede ser afectado en su decisión de si votar o no, y como votar. Si la información sobre identificación de los votantes se archiva en una forma serial paralela al registro de los votos, es concebible que el voto individual podría ser descifrado y guardado.

Además, esto, o aun información recolectada físicamente sobre los votantes podría publicarse para consulta en una página web, por ejemplo, para acciones discriminatorias tales como la exclusión de oportunidades de trabajo, prestamos gubernamentales, servicios de salud y acceso a la educación.  Esta posibilidad también afectará al voto individual, y posiblemente al resultado de alguna elección.

Primero, a este tema se le debe dar la discusión y atención que merece.

Segundo, debemos tener garantías de tanto privacidad del voto como la transparencia (no manipulación) del voto.

En el momento actual  pareciera que la única forma de garantizar la transparencia y legitimidad de una elección es comparando las papeletas físicas del voto con la cuenta electrónica. De esta forma, el público tendrá acceso a una cuenta electrónica inmediata, con la confiabilidad de una cuenta física de las papeletas de respaldo dentro de un tiempo razonable.

?Voto Electrónico y Democracia voto-electrónico.org (Electronic Vote and Democracy electronic-vote.org) expresa muy claramente:

El Principio de Precaución aplicado a las elecciones quiere decir que aun la más mínima duda de si el voto electrónico realmente es menos riesgoso que votación con papeletas es un buen motivo para utilizar papeletas de votación tradicionales!

 Pasos necesarios:

  • Publicitar y concientizar sobre el tema de votación electrónica en el proceso de la CMSI.
  • Publicar información apropiada en todos los listados de correo pertinentes, y pedir al Caucus de DDHH que haga este tema un foco de atención.

Implementación: trabajar hacia la inclusión de los siguientes principios en el seguimiento del proceso de la CMSI:

  • Garantizar una Comisión Electoral no partidista.
  • Requerir un proceso que incluye un sistema de verificación con las papeletas.
  • Requerir la certificación internacional de procesos de votación y sistemas para evitar la manipulación del voto y garantizar transparencia.
  • Garantizar la privacidad de la identificación del votante y la información del voto y evitar el uso de almacenamiento serial de información que pudiera ser descifrado para información sobre el voto.
  • Prevenir la publicación de identificación de votantes y sus votos y su uso para discriminación.