Fra: marzouki@ras.eu.org [mailto:marzouki@ras.eu.org]
Sendt: fr 17-02-2006 11:32
Til: hr-wsis@iris.sgdg.org
Emne: [hr-wsis] IGF - Real time transcription of discussions

Dear all,

Discussions occurring at the IGF meeting are transcripted in real
time and are availalable right after each half day session on IGF
website (http://www.intgovforum.org/).
Already available:
- Morning Session 16 February : http://www.intgovforum.org/
contributions/IGF-1-0216.txt
- Afternoon Session 16 February : http://www.intgovforum.org/
contributions/IGF-1-021606pm.txt

Webcast of the meeting is also available at http://
streaming.polito.it/IGF-live, for those who can access it (I can't).

Below is the verbatim of Rikke's intervention on behalf of the caucus
(Feb. 16 afternoon).
Written contribution from the caucus is also available on IGF
website, together with the privacy and security working group
contribution and many other written statements (http://
www.intgovforum.org/contributions.htm)/

Best,
Meryem

=========
 >> Danish institute for human rights:  Thank you, chair.
My name is Rikke Frank Jorgensen.
I am from the Danish human rights institute.
I am part of the WSIS human rights caucus and also the privacy and
security working group.
Both groups have made written contributions to this meeting, which I
won't read out aloud.
But I would rather pick out a few points to reflect on the
discussions that we have had today.
I was thinking this morning and also this afternoon during the
discussion, what is it that's really special about this forum
compared to other similar spaces, policy spaces we have?
And I think there are two things, at least, that are very special.
One is that we actually, with this forum, have a space that can
provide policy analysis across existing issue-specific arenas.
I mean, this was stressed when it was set up.
And I think this is important to bear in mind.
And another specific aspect of it is that it is a child of the WSIS
commitment to actually use ICT to promote development and human rights.
In other words, this space entails a commitment to actually advance
the issues that was raised during the WSIS process and which is
spelled out in detail in the political documents from Geneva and Tunis.
One of these issues that we have discussed again and again in the
WSIS process is human rights compliance of future Internet governance
mechanisms.
Another, more general, issue is the one of promoting an information
society which actually enhance human rights protection both at
national and international level.
And what we, as human rights caucus, would like to see advanced
through the forum is that this so-called human rights-based approach
to Internet policy develops into something that is more concrete,
that we move forward when we say that we need to assess -- to use the
human rights standards as they are spelled out in international law
as actually assessing these policies.
If we look at the Internet policy arena globally from -- with human
rights glasses on, there are a number of developments that are very
worrying, most obviously in the field of privacy and freedom of
expression.
It is no secret that in the current political climate that is so much
driven by the so-called war on terror, international privacy
standards, they are under the strongest pressure that they have been
on since their adoption some 55 years ago.
And they are currently being restricted in a number of areas with
little or no legal safeguards to ensure checks and balances.
With regard to freedom of expression, it is also well documented and
well known that online freedom of expression is violated around the
globe.
This is both in the form of outright censorship, but it's also by
more subtle measures that include privatized censorship, filtered
information access, commercial censorship of search items, and
criminalization of content that is completely legitimate under
international freedom of expression standards.
So these are just de facto policy developments, and they are not easy
to address, they are very politically sensitive.
I am very much aware of that.
But, nevertheless, they are crucial to address if we really mean it
when we say that we want an information society respectful of human
rights.
So what I would like to see as concrete studies of working group
under this forum to address some of these issues and to advance the
discussion on them would be two studies, actually.
The first one would be on how human rights principles, as they are
laid down in the international human rights treaties translate into
Internet governance mechanisms.
How do we transform them into concrete policy recommendations which
protect and uphold and respect these standards?
And this work should, of course, involve the relevant U.N. bodies,
not least, the U.N. high commissioner for human rights.
Another area would be privacy impact assessment of the regulation
that's currently taking place in the field of cybercrime and
counterterror.  To evaluate its compliance with human rights privacy
standards and data protection guidelines.  And this work would
involve the global network of privacy commissioners and could feed
into the ongoing considerations in other fora for international legal
standards in the privacy field.
Thank you.
=========

--
Working List of the WSIS Human Rights Caucus
Web site : http://www.iris.sgdg.org/actions/smsi/hr-wsis