Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] On the selection committee process

Le vendredi, 14 oct 2005, à 16:34 Europe/Paris, Rik Panganiban a écrit :

Hi Meryem,

You're name was considered in the Committee's first meeting, alongside the HR Caucus's other nomination of Ms. Bruna Faidutti of WFUNA. It was decided to put forward the name of Ms. Faidutti, given WFUNA's long involvement in the WSIS process and the United Nations and her expertise on general human rights issues.

Rik Panganiban

Better late that never:)
And, of course, the Human Rights caucus didn't deserve two selected speakers (Shirin Ebadi not yet proposed at that time), while, in the selection list of Sept. 30:
5 selected speakers were nominated by Asia-Pacific Caucus
4 selected speakers were nominated by African Caucus
3 selected speakers were nominated by Gender Caucus
2 selected speakers were nominated by Media Caucus
2 selected speakers were nominated by NGO Community Family
2 selected speakers were nominated by Telecentres Caucus
2 selected speakers were nominated by West-Asia Region

Not even speaking on the final list recommended to ITU.

So, please, give a good reason, at least one that _seems_ sound.

I don't care speaking at WSIS, and, being yourself a member of the caucus, you know that I didn't want to be nominated. I think the HR caucus, a caucus created at 1st PrepCom of 1st phase, has been achieving very good work, and still will, that's what is important. You all know that the HR caucus has been concerned since the begining of the process with substance as well as with process. By highlighting the lack of transparence, accountability and relevance of the "selection committee", we're just keeping on doing our work.

Meryem Marzouki
HR caucus co-chair