Re:[hr-wsis] IPS - Tunisian media counter conference to WSIS

> dear all
>
> colleagues are asking if any of us know about this
initiative? stephan
> leahy did send me a message asking about hammemt earlier
this week, but i
> hadn't responded at this point
>
> karen
>
> >From: "Bruce Girard" <bgirard@comunica.org>
> >To: crisinfo@comunica.org
> >Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:47:54 -0200
> >Subject: [CRIS Info] IPS - Tunisian media counter
conference to WSIS

> >Tunisian Journalist Fights for Openness
> >Stephen Leahy
> >
> >BROOKLIN, Canada, Nov 19 (IPS) - The Tunisian recipient of
a Canadian
> >award recognising her fight for media freedom in her
homeland says she
> >will organise a counter conference to a planned United
Nations meeting on
> >the "information society" in Tunis in 2005.
> >
> >Sihem Bensedrine was one of three winners of the 2004
International Press
> >Freedom Award to be honoured by the group Canadian
Journalists for Freedom
> >of Expression in Toronto this week. The annual prize
recognises courageous
> >journalists who face personal risks in pursuit of the news.
> >Also saluted were Guy-André Kieffer, a Canadian freelance
journalist who
> >disappeared in Côte d'Ivoire in April, and Zimbabwean
newspaper 'The Daily
> >News', forced to close down in February 2004 for its
"uncompromising
> >opposition to government repression."
> >Last October, Tunisian President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali
was elected to a
> >fourth, five-year term, reportedly by 99 percent of voters.
His government
> >will host the U.N. World Summit on the Information Society
(WSIS) in 2005,
> >phase two of a meeting whose themes include freedom of
speech and how
> >information and communications technologies (ICT) can help
promote democracy.

> >"There are no independent media in Tunisia," Bensedrine
told IPS. "Hosting
> >the WSIS is paradoxical."
> >Although blocked by her government from participating in
the summit,
> >Bensedrine plans to organise a "Contra-Conference Against
the Summit,"
> >including national and international human rights
organisations.

> >The move is just one example of Bensedrine's commitment and
passion for
> >truth and freedom despite having been arrested and tortured
by Tunisian
> >police. After speaking out about these issues to
parliamentarians in
> >Germany last December, she was beaten by unknown assailants
shortly after
> >returning to Tunisia.
> >Bensedrine has faced continual harassment for many years
working as a
> >reporter and editor-in-chief at five newspapers, several of
which were
> >banned by the government, including 'Kalima!' and 'Blanc
sur Noir'.

> >She still attempts to publish 'Kalima!' as an online
publication but
> >cannot update it from within Tunisia because Internet
access to the
> >website is blocked.
> >The northern African nation has a reasonably good Internet
infrastructure,
> >including 300 government-operated cyber cafés and all
secondary schools
> >and universities are reportedly "wired."
> >
> >Yet Internet access is strictly controlled by the
government using
> >software programmes and hundreds of technical experts who
prevent
> >Tunisians from accessing selected websites, such as Amnesty
International,
> >Human Rights Watch and others that deal with human rights
and freedom of
> >expression, said Bensedrine.
> >In 2003 eight Internet users, seven of them aged between 17
and 22, were
> >accused of promoting terrorist attacks on the sole basis of
files they
> >downloaded from the Internet. In July 2004 they were
sentenced to 13 years
> >in prison.
> >
> >But those convictions rested entirely on signed confessions
extracted
> >under torture, according to France-based Reporters Without
Borders (RWB).
> >Bensedrine has organised international campaigns to alert
the world to the
> >convictions and to push countries to pressure the
government to overturn
> >the verdicts.
> >Tunisia has one of the most oppressive censorship regimes
in the world,
> >according to the International Press Institute (IPI), a
global network of
> >journalists and editors based in Vienna. For that reason
the IPI and other
> >press freedom organisations want the WSIS to abandon
Tunisia as the site
> >of its 2005 gathering.
> >Recent events could support that argument.
> >
> >Any and all mention of Tunisia's ability and suitability as
a place to
> >discuss freedom of expression were shouted down at a major
WSIS
> >preparatory meeting involving civil society groups in
Hamment, Tunisia in
> >June, said Mark Bench of the World Press Freedom Committee,
a U.S.-based
> >coalition of 45 countries.
> >"There were enormous interruptions, with microphones being
grabbed away
> >from people during meetings," Bench said in an interview.
> >About 200 civil society and non-governmental organisations
(NGOs) were
> >involved in the meeting but at least 87 were Tunisian he
said. The latter
> >were responsible for the disruptions.
> >Other complaints included lack of meeting and office space for
> >international NGOs, and abruptly cancelled meetings.
> >"If this is any indication of what will transpire in 2005,
we're deeply
> >concerned," added Bench.
> >Committee members have visited Tunisian ambassadors in
several countries
> >to deliver the message that similar treatment next year
will do the
> >country's reputation little good.
> >"We hope there will be a change of heart. And that there
will be greater
> >press freedom," Bench said.
> >According to Bensedrine, only four or five NGOs in Tunisia are
> >independent; the others are affiliated with the government.
However, all
> >groups have to obtain permission to operate legally.
> >The journalist is hoping that when she returns home in
December with a
> >number of international organisations at her side, the NGO
she works with,
> >the National Committee for Rights in Tunisia, will get that
approval.
> >Tunisia, she pointed out, likes to portray itself a model
of development
> >and stability and is very sensitive to criticism from the
international
> >community.
> >Support from that community is also crucial for the
survival of
> >independent Tunisian human rights and press freedom
organisations, said
> >Bensedrine. "It's our only weapon against this
dictatorship." (END/2004)
act@crisinfo.org
> >CRIS Info is a public list for information and questions
about the
> >campaign for Communication Rights in the Information
Society (CRIS).
http://comunica.org

http://www.iris.sgdg.org/actions/smsi/hr-wsis/list
hr-wsis@iris.sgdg.org