Re: [hr-wsis] Re: HR caucus involvment in 2 UN WG

Dear Rik,

I only wanted to add that when one talks about the "Governance of ICTs and on Financing issues", one major aspect could be "good governance" - that should is now in its title - and therefore the governance should not be a poor governance of ICTs. That's why I think the main elements of good govenance, i.e. participation, consensus, rule of law, and inclusion (as opposed to exclusion), transparency and accountability and more important human rights values have to been included, respected, protected and promoted.

Best

Saeid N. Neshat
Human Rights Committee
House of Culture and Sustainable Development

Rik Panganiban <rikp@bluewin.ch> wrote:
Dear colleagues,

Human Rights is of course important to be included in both the
discussions on the Governance of ICTs and on Financing issues. So in
this general sense, the Caucus and its members should be following
closely and participating in the work of both Working Groups, as much
as is possible.

On the other hand, I worry about the Caucus getting stretched too thin.

That said, on Financing issues, there are a few human rights issues
that could be raised:

* In the evaluation of existing and future funding mechanisms, we need
to be clear that financing ICT development of government's that use
those technologies to diminish and violate human rights is contrary to
the spirit of the Information Society.

* Benchmarks for the evaluation of financing mechanisms should include
how those mechanisms empower peopl e and communities, particularly
vulnerable and disenfranchised communities like indigenous peoples,
rural populations and ethnic minorities.

* We can anticipate that there will be much emphasis on corporate
investment to stimulate ICT growth, and public-private financing
mechanisms. For the HR caucus, we should highlight the basic
principles of corporate accountability, not only to their shareholders
but also to affected communities. There also may be important HR
questions surrounding the dominance of multinationals ownership of ICT
resources in developing countries.

My understanding is that the Financing WG is likely to come under the
leadership of the UN Development Programme, which has both good and bad
aspects. As I have said before, the lack of news on the financing
working group is worrying.

Regards,

Rik Panganiban
WFM