Re: [hr-wsis] proposal for action points

That is good.

 There is however I believe no need to qualify the right to food with the
word "adequate".   As most of you know, the wording from the UDHR says
"standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself (sic)
and his family including food, clothing, housing and medical care".

This is not a big issue, but we might as well get it right.

Diana Bronson
Rights and Democracy/Droits et Démocratie
www.ichrdd.ca

             "Frank
             Joergensen,
             Rikke"                                                     To
             <rfj@humanrights.         <hr-wsis@iris.sgdg.org>
             dk>                                                        cc

             AM                        [hr-wsis] proposal for action
                                       points

             Please respond to
             hr-wsis@iris.sgdg
                   .org

Hi all,

I propose we suggest the following actions to the drafting group (taken
from the “Statement on Human Rights and Human Dignity in the Information
Societyâ€, from the HR experts meeting on 3-4 November 2003 in Geneva, minor
change marked in red).

I am not sure to what extent the CS paper will suggest actions, but I think
these two are crucial and that we should give them full support. Any
comments on this ?

Best

Rikke

Proposal for actions for Civil Society Declaration

Human Rights Caucus

November 27th, 2003

In preparation for the WSIS in Tunis in 2005, an Independent Commission on
the Information Society and Human Rights, composed of highly qualified
experts with a broad geographical representation, should be established to
monitor practices and policies and submit recommendations to the Summit.
Its mandate should include a review of national and international ICT
regulations and practices and their conformity with international human
rights standards, the governance of current decision-making bodies in the
ICT field, and the potential applications of ICTs to the realization of the
right to development and the essential human rights for sustainable human
development, including the right to health, the right to adequate food and
the right to education.

Furthermore, the importance of the issues of human rights of WSIS justifies
the establishment, within the procedures of the Commission on Human Rights
or its Sub-Commission, of a position of Special Rapporteur on Human Rights
and the Information Society, with a mandate to monitor developments in this
area, including threats to privacy, freedom of expression, freedom from
surveillance, and applications of ICT to the realization of economic,
social and cultural rights and to human rights education and recommend
measures conducive to advancing human rights in the information society.