Communication and Human Rights

[This message sent to both the WFCR organizing group and the HR caucus
list]

Hi all,

I'd like to provide you with some information on the situation
regarding the "Communication and Human Rights" session. I'm afraid
we're quite late in the organizing process, but, anyhow, here we are:

- First of all, regarding funding and hotel reservation, I'm glad to
tell you that I've been able to secure this for 5-6 people invited to
our session. Would be easier if the speakers we invite are from French
speaking countries, since the Francophonie is the source of our funding.

- Now, most importantly, regarding the proposed programme:
We have a big problem waiting for information from Karen, who is
coordinating the "Communication, conflicts and peace" session, since
she planned to address the surveillance and censorship issues in this
session, and we don't want too much overlapping of both sessions. One
(bad) possibility would be to merge the two sessions. We will try to
avoid this.

Here is how we plan the HR session :

1/ Keynote : we're trying to invite Ms Ebadi, recently nominated for
peace Noble prize. We've tried Mary Robinson first, but she isn't
available. Ms Ebadi could have problem attending, since she will
receive the prize in Stockholm on December 10th, the day before WFCR.
In any case, we're waiting for an answer to our invitation. If you have
any alternative idea, they would be most welcome.

2/ Testimonies : we would like to have two reports on the probably two
most emblematic/problematic countries with regards to WSIS and HR,
which are China and of course Tunisia. Regarding China, Sharon Hom from
Human Rights in China (based in NY) has been invited. We're waiting for
her answer. She'll be attending  WSIS anyway, invited by FIDH.
Regarding Tunisia, I'm not keen on giving names in this message, since
at least one of the lists is archived. The person I've tried first wont
be able to make it to come. I'm trying someone else, who would be able
to speak on media in general (not only Internet) in Tunisia. I'll be
able to have an answer by the end of the day.

3/ Panel : we would like emphasize the possibly conflicting rights. We
have first thought to focus on the Internet, but Sean disagrees :-), so
we'll try to enlarge the issue. Possible participants would be : Art
McGee (already invited), Deborah Hurley (she wrote the essay on "Human
Rights in the information society) published by Rights and Democracy
and launched during PrepCom3 at the HR caucus event. I'm also thinking
of Stefano Rodota, who has been for long Italian data protection
commissionner, head of the european group of data protection
commissionners (see short bio:
http://europa.eu.int/comm/european_group_ethics/docs/cv_rodota.htm). I
think he could enlarge the topic to all medias. He's a very good
speaker. ALternative would be Simon Davies, from Privacy International.

So, here we are. We've had other suggestions too, some through Sean :
Jean-Paul Marthoz from Human Rights Watch (journalist, good speaker, I
know him), a representative from Article 19 on their report on
tanzanian refugee camps (would better fit with the "Communication,
conflicts and peace session), the special rapporteur on freedom of
expression from the OAS (organization of American States), etc.

Most of these possible speakers are from the North, I'm afraid, and
this is a problem. Also, we would like to have a coherent session, with
a coherent thread.

Regarding the multimedia stuff, a possibility would be background video
projection (silent images, during the whole session) : videos from
witness.org. Rik Panganiban from the HR caucus has contacted them, and
they're interested in participating this way to the WFCR. But noone
from their organization would be available on December 11th, so they're
trying to see if they can at least arrange for a screening, and see if
someone they know can introduce that. As I said, Rik is coordinating
that, and I don't know what are the last news.

Best regards,
Meryem