From: Meryem Marzouki [mailto:marzouki@ras.eu.org]
Sent: 7. oktober 2003 18:48
To: hr-wsis@iris.sgdg.org
Cc: Sean Siochru
Subject: [hr-wsis] Re: HR caucus co-organizer of the WFCR

Hi Rik and all,

(1) Coherent thread for the HR session
=======================================

We have now three proposals:

A/ "privatisation of rights" and social control converging agendas
B/ human rights (true or false) conflicts raised by the use of ICTs,
i.e. human dignity vs. freedom of expression, freedom of of
information, ...,  right to information vs. privacy, right to safety
vs. privacy, etc.
C/ (1) human rights challenges of the IS, i.e. surveillance,
monitoring, censorship, etc. and
    (2) human rights opportunities of the IS, i.e. how HRs groups are
using ICTs to enable their work, better HRs monitoring using ICTs,
increasing transparency and accountability using ICTs, etc.

Please comment, indicate your preferences, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, proposal C/, although driven by the true need
for raising awareness, has the following drawback: its part (2) limits
the issue of HR and ICT to an instrumental view and its part (1)
highlights the most obvious HR challenges. Not to mention that these
very challenges may be addressed by the session on "Communication,
Conflicts and peace", at least in the intention of its organizer, APC.
This possible problem has been raised by Karen in a private message,
and I think this can be discussed here. One possibility would be to
merge the two sessions. Why not ?
The main advantage of proposal C/ is that it would be easier to
organize than the two other proposals.

(2) Possible speakers
=====================
- Mary Robinson : Diana, are there any news on her availability and
willing to participate ?
- Art McGee will attend, and would be willing to participate on racism
issue (news from Sean). This would perfectly fit with proposal B/
- Jean-Paul Marthoz (formerly - and back to??? - HRW) would be willing
to participate (news from Sean)
- Sharon Hom from Human Rights in China could be contacted (her travel
expenses from NY would have to be paid, of course)
- Someone from Tunisia, who I'm not ready to say the name on this
publicly archived list
- others ? WE NEED TO FINALISE THE PROPOSAL WE WILL FOLLOW, first.

(3) Video
=========
Witness is a wonderful idea. Rik, if you're in contact with them, could
you please go ahead and check with them if they can provide videos for
free, if they would want to present them in person, and if the videos
are available in digital format. It appears that VHS projection would
require that we cover the cost for the additional equipment

(4) Money
=========
The HR caucus would have to cover travel and expenses of the panel
participants, unless they are funded through other sources. So, the
question: would/could any organization member of the HR caucus provide
some help (mine couldn't do that). In case not, we would have to ask
for some funding.

(5) HELP!!!!
I'm overwhelmed with work at least until early november, and will have
to travel in October (5 days next week) and in November (more than one
week). Even apart from that, I would need to share the responsibility
of organizing the stuff for the WFCR. Any candidate ? Please...

Meryem