RE: [WSIS-CT] Next steps for Content and Themes

Just a couple of points, based on comments that I have heard from a variety of groups.

I do hope that during Prep Com 3 the rights of all groups in the world will be reflected by the various caucuses, not simply by by a couple of vocal organizations and individuals. Grass roots organizations as well as those CS groups from areas less well, or not represented at all, must be encouraged to participate via an invitation to contribute ideas etc. There are cultural norms and barriers that WSIS-CS especially must be sensitive to. This is true of the "First World Nations" as much as it is of the "Developing World"

If full representation does not occur there is a tendency that the documents produced and the presentations made will be lacking in content and opinion and will not be a true reflection of the World Information Society, and will thus lack credibility. Comments have been made that CS groups often represent large member organizations but may be out of touch at the grass roots level. So there is a real need for CS to continue to work towards greater inclusivity.

On a personal note, WSIS-CS is very fortunate to have the "CS-Champions" that we have and I look forward to learning and contributing to the discussions that will hopefully take place on-line.

With the very best of regards,

Amali De Silva-Mitchell, Vice President, Vancouver Community Network, Canada.

"Frank Joergensen, Rikke" <rfj@humanrights.dk> wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry for coming into the discussion late. Just a few remarks.

1. I wont be able to join the drafting group starting Monday, but will be happy to comment.
I strongly agree that we should keep the paper focused on a few key issues, as suggested by several people.
Also i believe that we should combine forces regarding HR and the security discussion. Several of us in the HR caucus are working with privacy issues already.

2. I think, its extremely important that we are able to provide specific arguments and text suggestions for the articles and actions point being negotiated at any given time during PC3. In Paris, the HR Caucus made a specific text suggestion for art. 1 in the Declaration, and that proved to be very fruitfull, since the text is now being supported as the official text by several of the governments. With regard to HR issues and t! he decreasing HR protection in the docs, we need to adress several point specifically. For instance (but not limited to): art. 1 (already made), art. 21-22, art. 34, art 38 and art. 52 - and the corresponding parts in the action plan. I will be happy to work on these inputs during prepcom 3, and I look forward to giving the official docs. some challenge in coop with you all.

best
Rikke