de Mello draft (was Re: [hr-wsis] Re: Fwd: de Mello)

All,

Thank you for your comments.

The issue is really not that complicated in terms why to do this, who
will endorse, etc.

I agree that this is not necessary.

It is just a simple, nice thing that we can do, especially
since we had been in close contact with OCHCR,
we have respect for their efforts,
we are a Human Rights entity in some level of solidarity with them,
etc.

Please see the draft below.
Please suggest improvements.
If there is a consensus against this, let me know and I won't send it.
Otherwise, I can send it.

WJM

--

Bill McIver
Assistant Professor

e-mail: mciver@albany.edu

---  Draft ---

August 25, 2003

Bertrand Ramcharan
Acting High Commissioner for Human Rights
United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland

CC: hcmemorial@ohchr.org

RE: Sergio Vieira de Mello and staff

Your Excellency Mr. Bertrand Ramchara:

The Human Rights Caucus of the Civil Society Division of the
World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS)
wishes to express condolences to the staff and families of the
Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights for the loss of
Mr. Vieira de Mello and other OHCHR staff members on 19 August 2003.

We have communicated with you in the past regarding participation
of the OHCHR in preparations for WSIS.

We wish to take this time to express our deep appreciation for the
efforts and sacrifices toward improving human rights
of Mr. de Mello, his staff, and all of the OCHCR.

Sincerely,

WSIS Human Rights Caucus

--
Working List of the WSIS Human Rights Caucus
Web site : http://www.iris.sgdg.org/actions/smsi/hr-wsis