Re: [WSIS-CT] ICANN and the public interest issue in CS priority document

Hi Wolfgang, and others,

Thanks for these precisions. Although I disagree on the fact that
"ICANN 2.0" has a more technical function than before, I do share your
point of view that between the governmental ITU and the private ICANN,
there is a growing grew zone with undefined issues and
responsibilities. This is the exact reason why the famous sentence
calling for re-examination of the whole process has been put in the
document. A new organization like the one you propose on the long term
could be one of the many possibilities. But at this step, the question
is not yet mature enough among CS - as we can see with this discussion
- to propose a definitive solution which many implications need to be
discussed.

Also, I don't think the danger of having ITU taking over ICANN is
imminent (see recent message from Bill Drake on this list - I share his
analysis on that). But a re-examination may open a large debate and we
as CS may make profit of this.

Now as a pratical solution to our problem of finding a consensus for
the document, I think Bill Drake's proposal of adding a last sentence
to the "Global ICT governance" section making clear at least that CS
doesn't endorse the idea of ITU taking the whole Internet management
would be a good solution. We may discuss that face to face at Unesco,
and propose it to the CS plenary.

Meryem