Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Re: [WSIS-CT] Civil Society Draft Prioritie s Document

Hi all,

Many thanks to the CT working group, and specially to Bill and Sally
for the second draft, sent on July 12.
I'm grateful that some of my comments have been taken into account,
specially on the governance and access and infrastructure issues.
However, I still feel very uncomfortable with :

1/ The reference to the CoE cybercrime Convention (in the "information
security issue" section). I fully agree with Chris Zielinski argument
about this point.

2/ In the same section, the references to OECD guidelines and to the
proposal from the European Parliamen are inappropriate for the same
reasons. Moreover, the reference to "best practices" seems inadequate :
we need neither "best practices", nor "codes of good conducts". We need
rights and we need them being enforced.

3/ On the last section (Attention to other regional and international
processes), it's very disappointing that the very important demand of
"observatory committee" still does has, as one of its defined tasks,
the one I proposed to add, which is : "propose supervisory mechanisms
and indicators for human rights and sustainable democratic development
compliance in the information and communication society". Without this
supervision mechanism and the establishment of indicators, this
committee would only be yet another grandiose but useless idea.
Finally, I see that this observatory committee is still in the second
draft document a "multistakeholder" committee. I doubt this would lead
to successful work. We can see the results of so-called
"multistakeholders" initiatives : ICANN, WSIS, and others.

In any case, it is great that a draft document has been made available
in time, again thanks to the CT group. I'm sure we will have enough
time during Paris meeting to discuss it again and clarify the many
remaining issues so as to reach the widest consensus in plenary
sessions, specially in light of the developments of the draft
declaration and action plan that will be seen in Paris.

Meryem