	From: karen banks [mailto:karenb@gn.apc.org]
	Sent: Sat 5/31/2003 9:06 PM
	To: hr-wsis@iris.sgdg.org
	Subject: [hr-wsis] Re: Caucus document to be sent to ITU

	dear meryem and all

	I've just finished two other submissions and need to take a break. I'm sure
	i can confidently say that APC will endorse the final document the HR
	caucus submits, and we refer to the work of the caucus in our own submission..

	I have one comment i would like to make - as we have supported the work of
	the HR caucus, it would be good also, if the HR caucus could be seen to be
	supporting the work of gender advocates

	There are many things we could call for, but one key lobbying point for us
	is the full enforcement of CEDAW:

	If you feel able to use any of the following text, please do so..

	karen
	=====

	Human rights and freedoms, of which women's human rights and freedom of
	expression are an integral part, must be at the core of the information
	society.

	The information society should be based on principles of gender equity,
	human dignity and gender justice, and should be geared towards the
	eradication of gender disparities in education and training, socio-economic
	status, civic and political decision-making.

	In recognising the centrality of gender equality to social, political and
	economic equity:

	We call for the enforcement of Articles 1 and 2 of the Convention of the
	Elimination of All forms of Discrimination Against Women, which
	substantively promotes the principles of equality and equality of results,
	and the principle of non-discrimination[1].

	[1]
	<http://www.iwraw-ap.org/SubstantiveEquality.html>http://www.iwraw-ap.org/SubstantiveEquality.html

	use ny name if you need a personal name..

	karen

	--
	Putting the "Human Rights in the Information Society" issue on the WSIS Agenda
	Working list of NGOs