Working on inputs for next WSIS meetings

Hi all,

This list of the "Human Rights in the Information Society" Caucus has
been inactive for some time now, and Rikke and myself are really sorry
about that. We have to recognize that we all are very busy with other
issues, that many of us have our own professional activities besides
and that, perhaps, the WSIS is not our first priority, like, I should
acknowledge, most of the actors, whatever sector they belong to :-)

Now the situation is quite difficult : the deadline for providing
inputs to the secretariat for the intersessional meeting (15-18 July in
Paris, UNESCO headquarters) is May 31, 2003, i.e. the day after
tomorrow. It would be hard to produce anything before this deadline.

What Rikke and myself propose to you is to start working on a HR Caucus
document that could be presented at this intersessional meeting (i.e.
in July) and more officially submitted afterwards, as input to PrepCom3
(September). This would be a pragmatic solution. However, if anyone has
concrete suggestions for the declaration or action plan at this point,
s/he should send them to the list ASAP.

The HR Caucus document would contain a general statement, then the
translation of main individual and collective rights in the information
society context (see next message for first proposals).

I hope all of you are receiving the information from the WSIS
secretariat. In any case, keep looking at these sites to be aware of
latest development :

1/ Official information:
- http://www.geneva2003.org
- http://www.itu.int/wsis/

2/ Information from civil society:
- http://www.wsis-cs.org/content.htm
- http://www.worldsummit2003.de/en/nav/14.htm
- http://www.crisinfo.org/live/index.php
- http://www.iris.sgdg.org/actions/smsi

3/ Web site of this caucus:
- http://www.iris.sgdg.org/actions/smsi/hr-wsis

Best regards,

Meryem Marzouki (IRIS - Imaginons un réseau Internet solidaire), and
Rikke Frank Joergensen (The Danish Institute for Human Rights),
HR Caucus coordinators.